Stiff Combination Square blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gogsi

Established Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions as to what I might use to help my blade slide smoothly on the handle? It's quite stiff and I didn't want to try anything without some much more experienced users' advice.
Much appreciated.

Thanks a lot Trevanion !
Anything in particular you would recommend to clean the blade? It's stainless steel.

Take it apart, clean it, put it back together again. Spray with WD40, then wipe clean. Rub a candle into the groove. Try any or all of those, and report back. If you're new to woodworking I don't think anyone should be suggesting you take a file to your new tool, but that's likely what experienced guys would do next after the above list.

It depends on how dirty it is! :lol:

Perhaps just a wipe with a paper towel soaked with a bit of your solvent of choice would be enough if it's not too bad, maybe a very light rub with some fine scotchbrite or similar if it's a bit more grubby.

Much appreciated Mike.
Will give that a shot. WD40 was in the back of my mind, but I was afraid to try it until someone in the know, like yourself, might suggest it : )

wax or oil. If that doesn't do it, when you have it apart, look and see if there are any metal burrs and damage from them.

This is one of the reasons I mentioned that if you're going to get a long term tool, it's a far better idea to get a used hardened square as they're almost always still square and they'll outlast 10 unhardened squares. The head and the hardened rule don't have any burrs on them and they're too hard to sustain much scratching.

Back