Stanley tote tap set ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey78

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
My next restoration project is a nice stanley 62 ...
I thought it was an easy one, just cleaning and sharpening : I was wrong :?

The tote threded rod doesn't "grab" in the threaded hole in the sole :cry:

At the moment my best option is brazing/filling up the hole and than re-tapping ...

This takes me to the point : I need a tap set.
I've done some research and apparently I need a non standard tap :
7/32 20 tpi withworth (am I correct ?)

Anyone coul help in finding this tap set ? ... I would consider any option no hurry at all !!! :wink:

Attachments

• 29101117_10216142847354502_2075467168562718031_n.jpg
    29101117_10216142847354502_2075467168562718031_n.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 775
Have you checked that the rod thread is good before doing all that work on the sole.?
Maybe a helicoil would be easier?

Why is it not grabbing? If the hole or the rod are damaged then a tap wont fix that. You will likely need to re-thread, in which case go for a more standard size as that's a weird one.

No need to tap anything if the threads on the rod are in good condition. You could rebuild the sidewall of the hole in the body casting with a strong epoxy compound, using the threaded rod itself (well waxed of course) to form the reverse threading. This process is used industrially so it can most definitely be strong enough, if you use an appropriate epoxy.

P.S. Congrats on your no. 62!

Retap to M6 it works a treat, and use a length of M6 studding.
I also have a 12/20 tap a die.

Pete

sunnybob":9iacrez0 said:
Have you checked that the rod thread is good before doing all that work on the sole.?
Maybe a helicoil would be easier?

The rod thread is ok, and if it wasn't It would not be difficult buying a new rod as a spare part !!!
Helicoils . . . to me they look suitable only for standard thread, do they exist in the "withworth form" ?

Rorschach":9iacrez0 said:
Why is it not grabbing? If the hole or the rod are damaged then a tap wont fix that. You will likely need to re-thread, in which case go for a more standard size as that's a weird one.

Rod is not grabbing because the threads in the hole are 65% stripped , I'd like more restoring the plane in its original conditions, if I can not I go for a standard thread !!!

ED65, as you suggested, using a strog metal suited epoxy was my first idea,
but I was told by a machinist that cast iron and epoxy have different strenght and, of course,
different elastic module ...
So whenever the tote rod is under pressure, he said that will be remaining metal thread in the hole and not epoxy thread to faight against the pulling action (hope it is clear )
This statement makes sense to me ...

Racers":3dnh8pbr said:

Pete

I will if I've no choice, but probably I won't ...
What about your tap and die set ? Are you by chance saying you want to sell it ???

mikey78":267sc6fl said:
Racers":267sc6fl said:

Pete

I will if I've no choice, but probably I won't ...
What about your tap and die set ? Are you by chance saying you want to sell it ???

No sorry.

Pete

I don't know a source of the taps or dies for the Stanley threads. But I do know that they were an American thread, based on imperial dimensions, but definitely not Whitworth.
If you really want to re-tap to the same thread, don't look for anything with Whitworth in the description.
You could try a search on the old tools list archive or some of the US forums.
Wax and epoxy sound better to me.

I would be wary of brazing the hole, you could distort or crack the cast iron.
Clean the hole and thread and epoxy them together, if it lasts o/k if not M6...

Pete

AndyT":1dw0znph said:
But I do know that they were an American thread, based on imperial dimensions, but definitely not Whitworth.
If you really want to re-tap to the same thread, don't look for anything with Whitworth in the description.
:shock:

This is really confusing me . . . everybody in the world says withworth ... you say it's not :?:

Have a read of this thread, especially the pdfs linked to by Swagman.

stanley-planes-threads-t74491.html

It's not the sort of BSW coarse threads that were in common use in the UK up to about 20 years ago, so would not be found in old stock from your local ironmongers or garage.

mikey78":2pvbaxdz said:
AndyT":2pvbaxdz said:
But I do know that they were an American thread, based on imperial dimensions, but definitely not Whitworth.
:shock:

This is really confusing me . . . everybody in the world says withworth ... you say it's not :?:

They use English in America, but its not our English...

Pete

why not may your own tap using a tote screw? it only needs a flute cutting in. you could then make a brass insert, drill out the old and replace using soft solder or epoxy.

Back