Stanley Planes & Threads.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It always astonishes me that some people need to say in ten pages what others can say in a couple of paragraphs. :-?

Dangermouse":1xepk69l said:
It always astonishes me that some people need to say in ten pages what others can say in a couple of paragraphs. :-?

I see your point; however, the length and depth of the article does emphasise the historical complexity of something many people take for granted. Screwthread standards endured a long, complex and sometimes painful birth, and are still evolving. The survival of the Stanley plane threads for so long is unusual, but serves neatly to illustrate that current screwthread standards have not always held sway.

Dangermouse":z3o626cu said:
I think the in-depth background information is valuable - but maybe he should have started with a summary...

Cheshirechappie":z3o626cu said:
The survival of the Stanley plane threads for so long is unusual, but serves neatly to illustrate that current screwthread standards have not always held sway.
I believe current Stanley planes (non-Sweethart) use metric threads*. I don't know when the change happened, but probably about the time production moved from Sheffield to India/China (~2004)

* the replacement handle kits Stanley were selling included both classic and metric threaded bolts and brass nuts.

Cheers, Vann.

I'm sorry but I cant find any interest in the history of what thread Stanley used form one year to the next and when said threads were invented. Just a little too pedantic and so removed from woodworking. One can nick pick so much over such things, that you loose sight of what the main object actually is.

Dangermouse":2zwfixxc said:
I'm sorry but I cant find any interest in the history of what thread Stanley used form one year to the next and when said threads were invented. Just a little too pedantic and so removed from woodworking. One can nick pick so much over such things, that you loose sight of what the main object actually is.

Depends on whether your main interest is the tool or what you are using the tool for, personally I think it's great that such people are around - not sure I'd be keen to meet up for a pint though!

Cheerio,

Carl

Dangermouse":1b6tjqfm said:

But if you had a plane with a missing screw it would be very use full.

Pete

Dangermouse":30dyysk0 said:

I guess John Bate's interests and priorities are different to yours. His purpose was certainly not to answer any questions you have, since he doesn't know you exist.

BugBear

[/quote]
I guess John Bate's interests and priorities are different to yours. His purpose was certainly not to answer any questions you have, since he doesn't know you exist.
BugBear[/quote]

That's very true, but I do reserve a right to say its a load of useless pedantic rubbish. Even if it does put a nose or two out.

[/quote]But if you had a plane with a missing screw it would be very use full.
Pete[/quote]

If I needed a screw I'd use a thread gauge.

Dangermouse":33ffugx3 said:
But if you had a plane with a missing screw it would be very use full.
Pete

If I needed a screw I'd use a thread gauge.

Thread gauges are great for measuring bolts when you need a duplicate bolt, or want to specify a nut
for an existing bolt. Thread gauges suck for measuring nuts or holes, especially blind holes, which is commonly
the case on a plane with a missing bolt.

BugBear

Wow that's a lot more than i paid for my 12-20 tap and die!

Pete

Back