Stanley Planes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched it. He talks a lot of sense.
(We were only issued with a wooden jack plane at my school. The few metal planes stayed safe in a cupboard unless they were really needed. )

We used metal planes at school. I remember a friend and I spent a while really tinkering with the tote on one of the planes to remove all traces of a seam, then asked the teacher what wood it was. He confidently stated that it was rosewood. We then gleefully told him it was plastic. He didn't believe us until we took the tote of to show the under side. Oh, How we laughed :roll: Still, at least we learnt how to dismantle a plane.

Yes, I was taught how to set up a metal plane at school. Have a few Stanleys and Records dating I think from 1922, 1934, 1940 and later - sometimes a hand plane is still the best tool for the job. (but also have a good selection of power tools) I also have a few hollows and rounds (and other moulding planes) which I use occasionally, typically if I'm shaping a short section of moulding to match something else. Does make me smile, because a couple of these date from the late 1700's (according to the makers names) - before Trafalgar!! I'm no collector - they're in a tool drawer with a load of other tools.

Back