Stanley planes - made in Wolverhampton

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for something else online, I found myself at a site dedicated to the local history of Wolverhampton - http://historywebsite.co.uk.
Amongst many other things, it tells the story of the Crane Foundry, which was started in the eighteenth century and run by James Atherton and Henry Crane. (There's no connection with the existing Crane company who make steel tube fittings - see https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Crane for them.)

The Crane Foundry made all sorts of brass and iron castings for the building trades. In 1945 they were sold to Qualcast and became Qualcast (Wolverhampton) Limited, retaining the Crane trademark.

It's often been noted in discussions on here that Stanley used to outsource some of their casting work to Qualcast and I'd assumed that was still in the Sheffield area. I was wrong there - Qualcast's complicated history seems to have started in Derby and grown by acquiring competitors in Suffolk, Manchester and elsewhere. (Again, see Grace's guide for the all the names and dates https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Qualcast .)

The real point of this post is that the Wolverhampton history website shows us evidence that at least some of the famous Sheffield Stanley planes were made in Wolverhampton by Qualcast at the Crane works.

Planes and spokeshaves feature in this display
Qualcast3.jpg

This picture shows brass patterns for Stanley planes
patternmakers.jpg

Here are some finished castings
products4.jpg

Inspection.jpg

and this one shows 1970s inspection methods, checking castings for flaws
Inspection2.jpg

Despite repeated changes of ownership and investment in new plant as late as the 1990s, the company went into liquidation in 2006.

Do follow the links to the Wolverhampton website - there's a lot more of interest scattered around its many sections, and you'll also have nostalgic trip back to the early 90s school of website design, worthy of preservation itself.

I didn't know that Wolverhampton was involved in plane making. I enjoyed looking at the website and was interested to discover information about the makers of this rule in the printing section of the virtual museum:

Attachments

• IMG_4039C.jpg
    IMG_4039C.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 1,344
I've often idly wondered how Qualcast, could make so many different products from a foundry in Suffolk. A county not recognised for metalwork.
Thank Andy for enlightening me, and many others.

Bod

I'm glad so many people liked that!

I visited Wolverhampton last year and it was sad to see how what had clearly been a prosperous place has so little left in it now. Acres of ex-factories and promises of wholesale redevelopment which may be some time coming.

Meanwhile, back in the past, this page may also be of interest - it traces the origin of the Woden tool company, started by one member of the Hampton family and later transferred to two others, who had founded the Record company in Sheffield. It illustrates the range of vices and untangles the history.

http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/article ... /Woden.htm

I was interested to read your post and especially in reference to the outsourcing of castings.

I remember seeing castings for Stanley plane bases/soles when I worked at George Fischer Castings in Bedford during the late 1980s.
It was my understanding that the parts were cast and fettled on-site but machined elsewhere and certainly we didn't have the right kind of machinery in production areas to plane the bases. I didn't spend any time in the pattern shop and didn't really know anyone who worked there so don't know it the patterns were brought in or produced in-house. As the foundry was fully automatic with limited manual intervention it is possible that the patterns were made at GF.

It is interesting that you mention Crane Casting in your post as the main George Fischer business was malleable Cast Iron pipe fittings and Cranes were a competitor (and my penultimate manager at GF left to go to Cranes in Ipswich).

George Fischer took over the former Britannia Iron & Steel Works in Britannia Road, Bedford in 1933 from former owners J & F Howard who were manufacturers of agricultural machinery and they were also responsible for manufacturing some rolling stock for the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in Devon.

I never acquired a plane base for my own use as I saw no means of machining it for myself and besides I was focused on metal working back then and already had a Stanley #4 that I had inherited from my Grandfather.

George Fischer was not adverse to producing castings for other companies and in some cases machining them too; I have a bath tap spanner and square sump drain plug key/spanner both finished on-site and marked 'Draper' with a small '+GF+' logo placed somewhere discrete.
I also remember seeing castings marked 'Massey Ferguson' at times although that was probably business that went to the Lincoln Foundry when GF bought that in the early 1990s (I think).

George Fischer announced their intention to close the whole site in 1992/93 and wholesale destruction began in earnest with the last iron being cast on 28th April 1993.

Bringing the link back to the West Midlands with respect to the OP - in a bizarre twist of fate some of the work GF Bedford produced needed to remain in the UK, so after some eleventh hour negotiating part of the site remained open - Machine Shop, R&D, Testing and Final Inspection/Packing and the castings were mainly outsourced to Chamberlin and Hill in Bloxwich.
There were some issues with porosity and as I was working in R&D at the time I did visit Chamberlin & Hill a couple of times but see from brief online research that they too closed back in 2002.

As a footnote it is strange how in the days before digital cameras and mobile phones how few photos the majority of the population took of everyday things.
I have one or two photos taken of the machine shop which I have in my apprentice log book and a few more general ones of the site immediately after closing but before the destruction began.
If I had taken notes of the 'mundane' I would probably have noticed more rather than relying on memory alone.

This is interesting!
+GF+ is a logo I'm sure I've seen on plane bodies.
I'll have a look at mine, see what can be found.

Bod

@toolkit in reference to you working for Qualcast we are wondering if any of the information in this separate thread is anything you have seen before or might be able to tell us more about ?
Cheers, Andy

Last edited:
Back