Stanley Bailey #5 Spring Cap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Mike. I got the PM and thought I had replied. I may have done something daft, being new to the forum. Let me check.

Just thought I’d update this thread. Bedrock (Mark) very kindly sent me a replacement frog for my plane. The new frog sat properly in the body of the plane, didn’t rock about and sat parallel to the plane mouth. Adjustment of the blade depth was smoother, and I have just managed to take a heap of fine shavings off a scrap of pine. The spring cap remained in place throughout.

So it seems Bedrock has sorted me out. I am very grateful to him, but also to everyone else who contributed to this thread.

Regards

Steve

So it was the frog all along! Great that just the one thing sorted it out. Just goes to highlight how off the machining of basic components can be in some modern planes, effectively rendering the plane useless unless the user can identify and rectify the flaws.

Good man Bedrock for your generosity =D>

Slightly off the OP, but some year's ago, I bought a Stanley carriage plane(?) at auction, which has the cut outs to the sides and a full width iron. I posted about it a couple of year's ago, largely moaning about the poor quality and the fact that, no way can I get the blade to sit square with the sole, and cut properly. Curiously, surface rust has a different crackle finish from usual.
I got very fed up with trying to sort it out, and left it on one side until Steve's problem got me looking at it again. I suspect that the frog u/s is out of parallel with the blade bed, but rather than to resort to filing I compared the frog with other planes. The width seems to be the size of a number 3, but comparing it with a spare no.3 frog, which seem to be much more difficult to find, the bedding screws hole pattern and the position of those holes relative to the front edge of the frog are different.
This is probably getting a bit esoteric, but does anyone have any ideas/information?
Mike

Can you do photos?
If by "Carriage plane" you mean Stanley No10, I have an elderly one, to compare.

Bod

Bod
I don't have a good relationship between my camera and posting photographs, but I think you are right that it is a no.10. I will have another look when I am back in the workshop.

Mike

Back