Stanley 71 router - screw for side fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello - anyone got the screw that attaches the side fence to the base of a 71. I've tried a few threads I have around, but no match yet, and I've been told it could be a Stanley custom thread. Any help appreciated.

I've had a hunt through and found a screw that fits my seventies vintage no 71 ok. It's not a Stanley original so the head is a bit smaller but it works fine with a washer.
You're welcome to it; PM me if you want it and I'll pop it in the post.

hello Andy - got it and it is bang-on... brilliant how such a small thing can transform the tool's usefulness. Very many thanks, I am indebted... anything I have you need just ask (within reason :)

You're welcome. Just remember to post pics of it in use!

(I've only used the fence on mine once, making grooves for bookcase strip, when really I should have used a plough plane. I've now corrected that lack, a few times over. There are so many nice ploughs out there!)

condeesteso":m1jrcsbr said:
hello Andy - .......... Very many thanks, I am indebted... anything I have you need just ask (within reason :)

Didn't I see you posted you were short of a Veritas LA the other day Andy!?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

I'm sorry to drag up such an old thread, but does anyone know what the thread size/pitch etc of the fence screw is? I'm assuming its imperial.

Thank you so much, I had already searched and failed.

So its a 3/16" Whitworth (24 tpi) - thats what I need to track one down.

AndyT":7rtfbi9p said:
dadiy":7rtfbi9p said:
I'm sorry to drag up such an old thread, but does anyone know what the thread size/pitch etc of the fence screw is? I'm assuming its imperial.

Hah!

Try this old thread instead:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/help-with-record-71-t90379.html

(No spares left I'm afraid, but at least you will know what to look for.)

fence_screw.jpg

I have a correct thread 10-24 screw which I'll likely never use, the right hand one in the pic above. Longer than required and hex head but it would do the job.

If you want it PM me your address and I'll pop it in the mail.

Regards

Jim

Attachments

• fence_screw.jpg
    fence_screw.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 1,391
Hi All

I too have the same problem of a missing screw on my Stanley 71 (not sure of the vintage). On reading the above I decided to measure the threaded holes in mine and they turned out to be 5/32 Whit so it seems there was some variation over the years. I have a tap which I used to check it with but not sure about a die (markings are a bit iffy) . When I get or confirm that I have the right die I will try and make one in my little lathe. I won't be able to buy a 5/32whit screw but if any body needs a 3/16 screw try GWR Fastenings who have an Ebay shop with free P & P.

Regards ----- Arnold

For anyone who doesn't have a fence but does have access to a 3d printer there is now a fence available to print at Thingiverse - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1217738

aaa1f81ca9e1b183cced9ffcfc965dcc_preview_featured.JPG

The files are totally free and the original design is up there to, so can be modified by anyone.

There may be no need to make one. The 2 screws that attach the frog to the base of a Stanley bailey plane are a match for the Record 071 clone. Try that in your Stanley model. If it fits find a crappy plane for a £5er and cannibalise it for spares or maybe you've already got a spare from an old plane you don't use?

arnoldmason8":3f3oak76 said:
Hi All

I too have the same problem of a missing screw on my Stanley 71 (not sure of the vintage). On reading the above I decided to measure the threaded holes in mine and they turned out to be 5/32 Whit so it seems there was some variation over the years. I have a tap which I used to check it with but not sure about a die (markings are a bit iffy) . When I get or confirm that I have the right die I will try and make one in my little lathe. I won't be able to buy a 5/32whit screw but if any body needs a 3/16 screw try GWR Fastenings who have an Ebay shop with free P & P.

Regards ----- Arnold

Plenty of sources on ebay, eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/333143780761?c ... gJHdvD_BwE

Search for 5/32 BSW screw.

Back