Stanley 5001's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalimna

Established Member
Reaction score
Deanston, a stones throw from the Distillery
Greetings folks,
Following on from the (slightly) recent threads on chisels, their handles and replacing the plastic (aesthetically less pleasing, but practically more useful) with wood (looks nicer, more damage prone), I thought I would have a go rehandling some.
Anyway, on the basis that Stanley 5001 chisels get a universally good name around here, I have acquired a couple of sets from the 'Bay. Which brings me to my question - Are there different varieties/issues/editions of the 5001's? There is quite a difference in the finish of both the steel (grinding marks vs smooth, depth of the lands) and the handle (mould lines present vs not, denser feeling plastic) between what I have bought.
Haven't had chance of to sharpen them up yet, however, so if the underlying steel is the same, it doesn't really matter, does it?

Cheers,
Adam

I don't know the answer to your question. The 5001s have a white shock absorber.

I too have two types, one has a more rounded upper bevel but I find them perform the same.

Good luck

Mick

if you want to do something "aesthetically pleasing" surely there are more interesting things to do rather than replacing perfectly good tool handles with practically inferior but prettier ones?

Jacob":222ftnkq said:
if you want to do something "aesthetically pleasing" surely there are more interesting things to do rather than replacing perfectly good tool handles with practically inferior but prettier ones?

Possibly, but then there are people in the world that watch extremely dull and inferior reality TV shows yet they have been around for many years and seem to still draw an audience.... this is obviously not your kind of goose Jacob.

I have a few 5001 chisels and find the plastic handles look and feel OK - not as attractive as wood but OK.

John

The original 5001s where made from tool steel (obviously) the later 5001s had chromium added to the mix to give them a brighter appearance.I believe this was originally called silver steel, but Iàm not a steel buff.
Any way the later models look brighter than the originals.

Thanks for the replies. Except Jacob. Please grow up. I didn't ask for your one track opinion on what to do with chisels, I asked a very specific question about one variety of well known chisels. Some were courteous to answer that question, for which I am grateful, you were not.
As it happens, what I find worthwhile is not always the same as that which others find so. However, on a practical note, turning some new handles would be an excellent exercise in control and repetition on the lathe. Do you not think?

Cheers,
Adam

Billy Flitch":ahhxmxg4 said:
The original 5001s where made from tool steel (obviously) the later 5001s had chromium added to the mix to give them a brighter appearance.I believe this was originally called silver steel, but Iàm not a steel buff.
Any way the later models look brighter than the originals.

Silver steel is a variety of tool steel, with a small amount (around 0.45%) of chromium, compared to 420 stainless or D2 (13.5% & 12% respectively) that's not very much, but the specific alloy is nontheless very reflective and light coloured, hence the name. It attains a hardness of 64C, which is similar to O1 (as is the Cr content) and harder than A2 (5% Cr and 62C)...

I think it's distinguising quality is actually that it contains a comparatively large amount of carbon vs. all other alloying elements, not a million miles from "pure" high-carbon steel, as per the old cast steel blades from the days of yore...

I now fully anticipate being out geeked on the metallurgy...

Edit: FWIW, I kindof agree with Jacob's sentiment albeit from a differing tack, the handles aren't broken and are functional so why intentionally break them? It just seems like a wholly unnecessary waste of a hard won, finite resource; but don't let me put you off, I'm sure it'll be enjoyable to turn new handles if you so wish.

Kalimna":s2u5f7zi said:
Thanks for the replies. Except Jacob. Please grow up. I didn't ask for your one track opinion on what to do with chisels, I asked a very specific question about one variety of well known chisels. Some were courteous to answer that question, for which I am grateful, you were not.,,,,
:lol: Take some advice from a grown up - don't spoil your chisels; why not do something useful instead?

Jelly - Why intentionally break a functional item? I understand the reasoning behind the question, but i like trying new things, and this appealed to me. Plus, I do prefer the look and feel of wood to plastic, and for all I am likely to be bashing the heck out of them with a mallet, the use of wood will not be detrimental.

Jacob - I value your considerable experience, and though I, and many others too, disagree with your methods of persuasion, there is frequently little to fault your logic. Knowing me as you do, my life, my interests, my free time and so forth, what would you suggest is something useful I could do?

Cheers,
Adam

Kalimna":39c26ct6 said:
Jelly - Why intentionally break a functional item? I understand the reasoning behind the question, but i like trying new things, and this appealed to me. Plus, I do prefer the look and feel of wood to plastic, and for all I am likely to be bashing the heck out of them with a mallet, the use of wood will not be detrimental.

The merit of the 5001 is not that it is the best chisel ever made, but that it was mass produced at an affordable price, has a fairly indestructable handle, and the blade is "good enough" steel. In short, it's the value for money that's good, not the chisel-ness.

If you have a set, I'd keep them, and use them, and buy some better chisels for your rehandling desires.

Earlier chisels by makers such as Sorby, Ibbotson, Ward & Payne are better steel, and more nicely ground - worthy of the finest handle you can make.

Here's the good Mr Haydon showing the way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvUwHTOSw2U

BugBear

If handles is your main thing what about making handles for something which needs new handles? Most households have a few old knives and things which could be brought back into service.
I've done it myself with old bone handled knives. Any old scraps of hardwood will do. I've used laburnam which is particularly good for handles as it is very durable. Not turned; shaped with plane with facets. Fit handle first, then shape it to align. If you shape it first it can be difficult to get the blade in straight.

Thanks for the further inputs.

Jacob - that's not a bad idea at all. As it happens, i am quite happy with my kitchen knives (though my IKEA steak knives are beginning to wobble a bit - not bad for £6 ten years ago), but I do like the idea of faceting (sp?) a handle. I also have a couple of nice laburnum boards that would do the trick.

BB - I shall need to keep an eye out for boot fairs round this neck of the woods then, and there aren't many at all...

Cheers,
Adam

Don't! You will probably find the chisel does not have a tang more likely just a distorted round bar. Fine for moulding plastic but impossible to re handle with wood.

Back