Stand for lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jervisekken

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a DVR3000 lathe standing on a MDF "stand", really more a table with a narrow shelf under it. I am not very happy with it as it is not very functional.
So I am looking for ideas to build a completely new stand. If someone out there have built their own stands could post pictures it would be highly appreciated.

Hello Geir.
I made This bench,Argees design,originally for my Hegner lathe,but have since adapted it for my Vicmarc and it works fine.
I have had some large lumps of wood on and it has been solid.
Take a look in members lathes for a piccy of it now :D

Geir, the bench has to be a sturdy bench, something like the bench of Paul. He made a good looking and a sturdy bench.
Ad

Yes, I know it has to be heavy so I plan on some cabinet og tray to fill with sand. I also want some storage in drawers right beneath the lathe.
And finally I would like a better solution for collection of chips and dust. With my present solution there is a gap between the table of the stand and the wall som chips are collected behind there. I would like a simple solution for collection and probably also have a branch from my dust collection system out to the lathe.

Hello Geir

I built mine based on Keith Rowley's design in his book, Woodturning - A Foundation Course.

The only thing I would change to improve it is the thickness of the blocks supporting the bed. Thicker ones would give more clearance between the top of the stand and the Bristol lever which fixes the tailstock.

The picture doesn't show it very well, but it is wider at the bottom than it is at the top, which gives a bit more stability.

PM me if you want the details.

Cheers

Dave

I built this for my earlier lathe, made from deal.
The bed stringers are of 7" x 3" the legs are 3"x2" and the top is 6"x 2" covered with 20mm chipboard and that was covered with 1/2" ply.
Oh, and the shelf was of melamine covered chipboard.
The lathe legs stood on leveling plywood pads which had a layer of tyre innertube rubber between the pad and table. then were bolted through the table.
It was quite heavy!

(Ive now got a Axminster AWVSL 1200 and that's ALL cast iron. That REALLY IS Bl~#dy heavy) :lol: :lol:

John. B

DSC_3205-1.jpg

Back