Stair paint. Alternatives to gloss. Any tips?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Best part of half way through a loft extension at the moment. New stairs fitted last Thursday. I need to paint the stringers (pine on both the new and original/mdf treads to be carpeted). I've been informed by the wise one that gloss won't do. Any suggestions for a suitably hardwearing eggshell type alternative please? I popped into a new (?) Crown paint centre in Bermondsey by luck friday because it's 200 yards from my firms lockup under the arches. I have to go back to swap 10L of magnolia picked up by mistake for white so they will have suggestions but I just hoped one of you reputable experts could lend me advice on a suitable paint so I don't go in blind. :D
I'm aware hardened non gloss types are available but anyone have any experience of them?

Domestic application but young kids to make up for lack of pedestrian traffic. :|

Cheers
Appreciate any help or advice as always
Chris

I’ve just done all the woodwork in my hall and (large) staircase with Valspar Trade Eggshell. I really like it - water based so no smell, quick drying and covers well in two coats. Time will tell if it is hard wearing.

A tip - it needs really good stirring before use, the first tin I bought took ages to incorporate all the liquid on top of the paint, when I went back to B&Q for the second tin the lady said always ask us to put it on the vibrating machine so that it gets properly mixed. This saves a lot of time.

Bedec Multi Surface Paint. http://bedec.co.uk/MSP COLOUR CARD-1.pdf

It's a flexible micro-porous water-based paint that sticks to absolutely anything at all, is really robust, and looks great. The only downside is a limited range of colours. Try it, and you'll never use anything else on planed timber, internally or externally.

Thanks chaps. I use trade paints normally due to better qualities. Wasn't sure on the use of Eggshell in this situation although it's what The Wise One has decreed for skirts, architraves, doors.... (god I'm depressing myself... soooo much painting to do still.... ) and it would match in nicely but I'm dubious it would stand up to the inattentions of my kids over time.
Must say, I'm intrigued by that Bedeck paint Mike. It looks like good stuff. Thanks for the heads up. I know an avid convert when I see one. A good sign.
Off to Crown Paints to chop that Magnolia in for white, looks like they are a registered supplier. Happy days.
Will let you know.
Thanks again,
Chris

Eggshell is basically satinwood. Its fine but as tough as gloss. Trade shop mixed dulux eggshell would be pretty decent

Thanks Selwyn, I always thought of eggshell as being a little soft or at least subject to being marked up by shoe scuffs, little fingers and jam sandwiches etc. Interesting to see it's not. Thanks.

99% of my commercial work is painted in water-based acrylic eggshell, without any issues.

I haven’t used it yet, but the slightly hard to get hold of Tikkurila Helmi is getting rave reviews from the decorators I know, so I’ll be giving it a try before too long.

+1 for Bedec as well - at least you can get that from toolstation...

Many thanks Peter. I appreciate you taking the time to reply and lend your experience.
I never returned the 10 litres of magnolia. It's a complicated and treacherous tale of trackers on vans and the tile shop messing up the order for the ensuite. Not sure how but I'm down exactly one wall of tiles. 2 week wait for tiles has well and truly borked me. Going so well as well.... Hey, everyday is a new test.

Back