Spray

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cordy":2ms2nlnn said:
Still with the old tried and tested system here

Cover wood with Blue masking tape, both sides
Stick pattern down with old PVA; sometimes diluted
Cover with clear parcel tape; we call it Sellotape round here

After the cut, all paper removes within seconds
Easy p :) easy

They say the Sellotape lubricates the blade - so should last longer :|

Why do you put the masking tape on both sides?

Helps prevent breakout on bottom (especially brittle woods) :)

Because I put sellotape on both sides; the blue peels off mega easy :D

Using My method I mark the end of piece (the end grain) with a couple of arrows to show which is the best side
Put another way -- I cover both sides in Blue but not the ends

If the piece is completely covered in Blue it's not easy remembering which is the side to glue the paper pattern to
There is always a good side :)

Well I think that I must be extremely lucky because I've only ever used repositionable spray glue on my patterns. Never had to cover the wood with blue painters tape or clear tape before putting the pattern on. The only time I use clear packing tape is over the pattern on thick wood, only to help prevent the blade burning the cut.
happy scrolling
Steve

OK loftyhermes, noted, thanks.

When I 1st started I used spray glue but had problems with smaller or angled parts of the pattern lifting during cutting that part. So I looked on t'net at (I think Steve Good - may have been someone else, I forget) and saw the blue tape/glue/sellotape method.

As said above, this stopped the pattern lifting problem, but as is also clear, it IS a bit of a hassle!

I'm just about to invest in a lased printer (I'm hoping Santa will oblige -SWMBO, are you reading this?) so when that comes I'll buy some self adhesive A4 labels and try that. It certainly sounds a LOT easier than "my" method!

Thanks for all the helpful comments folks, they're much appreciated.

AES

Yeah, thanks Brian - due to unplanned absences "on and off" over the years I too have come to the conclusion that inkjet printers and their cartridges are a PITA - as you say, they either dry up and often cannot be "undried" even though still containing some ink, OR even more annoying, those robbing barstewards at HP have decided that the cartridge is simply out of date (but NOT empty).

AND even though, say, it's just the yellow cartridge that's gone out of date, they won't let you print anything - not even just B&W - until you've installed a new yellow cartridge. AND I've heard that HP are by no means alone in that policy.

As a mate of mine once said "At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask". :D

(OK, rant over).

AES

AES":1xa2qpfq said:
Intersting again Roland. Thanks. Has a part of your pattern ever lifted upoff the wood asyou've cut it please?
No, I’ve not had a problem with the pattern tearing or lifting. I suppose it would if I left large gaps between the lines of tape.

I now I read to you a chapter from the good book, for is it not written
Brian 10:22
now friends, you must all stop with this fuss, relax and step away from the patterns, there is a brighter way, a more enlightened way, follow me as we walk through this valley of darkness, for we shall fear no fuzzy bits, nor concern ourselves with inside nor outside cuts, for this I bring the final scroll to you good people. look upon the and behold, the way is clear, patternless cutting.

step in to the light and go forth my brethren, you are free to explore a world with no mistakes only character, where straying from your intended line only brings new ideas not forgotten hope and demise. this is the way, the one true laird. the word has been spoken, and it is good.

:eek: :D

Claymore":g9yttosz said:
linkshouse":g9yttosz said:
Mine arrived today (A4 labels) and I've given them a whirl. They worked a treat.

won't say a told ya so Phill :D :lol:

Okay then smarty pants, if you're so clever.....

What am I going to do with all my masking tape and piles of glue sticks? #-o

:lol: :lol:

Phill

Latest posts

Back