Spray Paint Studio

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much would you be willing to pay for this item?

• £100-£149

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £150-£199

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • £200-£249

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • £250-£299

• £300-£349

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • £350-£399

• £400-£449

• £450-£499

• £500+

• Total voters

Adam Wood

Reaction score
Hi All,

Was hoping you could help me. I'm currently in the process of designing a portable spray booth but wanted to get an idea of how much people would be willing to pay for it.

The system unfolds from its packaged state with Velcro carrying straps and is simply assembled using slotted extrusion and 3mm Correx. The design can be modified for your own personal requirement both in working area and height. The maximum booth size being 0.9m(H) x 0.6m(D) x 1.35m(W). The design included its own lighting and air extraction system with synthetic and carbon filters to extract paint particles and odours from the immediate environment. The system also has a temperature and humidity sensor in-built to help users produce the correct painting environment.

If you wish to have any additional information please comment under this post.

Thank you for your time.

Adam Wood

Attachments

• Render 1 (Open Blog) E.jpg
    Render 1 (Open Blog) E.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 497
  • Render 2 (Closed Blog).jpg
    Render 2 (Closed Blog).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 497
Hi Adam

Interesting concept :) I’ve used quite a few spray booths in the past and was wondering if you sprayed something close to the internal height of the system, wouldn’t the unit need a filter from the bottom to the top, otherwise you will have overspray which can’t be extracted?

Hi Dazzer,
Thanks for your comment :D . You make a very good point. The fan I selected has a very high extraction speed and should be efficient to extract the particles even at that distance. But I agree the fan should be central and ideally covering the rear wall from bottom to top. Makes a lot of sense. I will definitely take that in to consideration for my development. Thank you and thank you for voting. Really does help to get some advice from those who are vastly more experienced.
Adam

Interesting idea, although I've seen similar advertised before (can't remember how much, sorry).

It looks OK for smaller stuff, but at 1.35 M wide it could be a bit limited - don't forget, the correct spraying technique is to run the gun (or can) horizontally along in front of the job's surface (at a fixed distance), starting the paint flow ON before it reaches the job's surface and turning it OFF after it's left the job's surface. That says to me that it would be tough to spray any item that was longer/wider than, say, 90cm to 1M max. In other words, OK for model making, toys, small boxes, etc, but just as an example, you couldn't get a guitar body in there if it included the neck (I don't spray such things, so no idea if it's done before or after the neck is installed, but hopefully you get my point)? And certainly I think it's far too small for anyone wanting to spray even small furniture pieces.

It looks a bit low down too.

Not trying to rain on your parade, 'onest (!) and although I have given a "guesstimate" value above, personally I wouldn't buy it. Why?

For really small stuff I just use a wooden lazy susan "inside" a biggish cardboard box lying on it's side. That's because I'm using water based acrylics for such jobs (toys mainly).

But as my shop is in a cellar with no extraction, anything bigger than that, or which uses media "nastier" than acrylic, I spray outside in my car port, having old curtains and sheets as "spray booth sides" rigged from pre-placed hooks.

In other words, your idea FOR ME falls into the nice to have but not necessary & too small anyway category - the filtration and "climate control" adds to your cost but is not needed really unless working with nasty stuff indoors with proper extraction to outside (for my set up I just have to await the right day)!

The price range I've chosen above is my idea of what the modeller/small hobbyist might pay.

HTH

Back