Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By CHJ
Dalboy wrote:I know what you mean trying to do three or four different projects and two blanks ended up on the scrap heap as found splits right through the centre
That's the reason for these small boxes, what appeared to be really good slabs of wood turned out to have a load of ring shakes when they had dried out & other pieces have what I can only assume are growth stress faults, sometimes deep in the wood that only show up during turning.
Spent a lot of time 'repairing' similar faults in the past but it's the firewood stocks that are benefiting now.
split1.jpg
Split opened up after the blank was dropped.
split2.jpg
split3.jpg
Ring Shake surfaces
split4.jpg
The salvaged small box blank
By CHJ
A bit of Cherry branch wood.
DSCN6489.JPG
Cherry, 70mm diam.
DSCN6490.JPG

This one decided to add interest to the proceedings when it took the option of a trip down the dust extractor system, fortunately it stopped at the last bend in the ducting in the outside extractor shed rather than the steel fan blades. A reminder not to be so casual when releasing the chuck jaws.
By Dalboy
That is one very nicely shaped box Chas. Glad it got stuck before the fan unit, there has been the odd time that a clunk has been heard where something disappeared down the 4" hole of no return
By CHJ
Do have a wire grill to place over the inlet when handling anything smaller than 100mm, it's been a while since the last serious episode, just the odd sanding sheet or finishing cloth & had lost the habit of taking the precaution.
By Dalboy
CHJ wrote:Do have a wire grill to place over the inlet when handling anything smaller than 100mm, it's been a while since the last serious episode, just the odd sanding sheet or finishing cloth & had lost the habit of taking the precaution.

No but something worth thinking about for a future project
By CHJ
Thanks Derek, the top rim was the only thing to survive the original intention, started out thinking it would be much deeper based on the blank, but the vagaries of wood drying dictated that to get anything that looked presentable it would have to be slimmed down and we ended up going back to a the form of one that struck a cord & been in continuous use since 2005
By CHJ
Sometimes the simple causes a disproportionate amount of aggravation, wood movement a plenty saw the 'lid' doing a banana impression between turning & check fit.
(note to self:- rough prep. rest of this batch of wood first.)
DSCN6493.JPG
Yew, 157mm diam.
DSCN6494.JPG
DSCN6495.JPG
By CHJ
Dalboy wrote:Two more very nice pieces I just may have to have a go at the flat turned box shape sometime
Thanks Derek, the flatter boxes are an excuse to change turning (holding ) methods.
I've plumped for hot melt tenon blocks on both ends of the slim blank, that way parted off lid-body sections have their own primary holding point.
By Dalboy
Hot glue guns are great for this. Have been using them quite a bit lately especially when I find a nice piece that is too small to have a tenon or other fitting on them. I did it on the London plain offset bowl not because the wood was to thin but the type of holding that I wanted.