Spares for Dowelling Jig?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappous

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy spares for my Record Dowelling Jig 148, which is about 20 years old? Preferably to be ordered online, as I live in Greece?
Cheers
Bill

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum and what are you after as I should be getting some spares very soon :wink: .

Hi Paul,

I am was try to get one on Ebay but some one with on history started biding with 5 minutes to go and beat me to it :evil:

I think some one was trying it on and if they where, they will have to repost it :evil:

Some thing does not smell right with that one :roll:

Bit of a b***er when that happens :evil: I'm after some 10mm guide bushes. I've plenty of the other sizes but only two of the 10mm size. If you hear of any going, let me know :wink:

Cheers

Paul

The set I was looking at had all the bars in ( 2" and 3" too ) plus lots of extras, which would have been all I needed :(

Colin,

I have a whole shopping list - most importantly, a pair of long slide rods but various other parts too. If you do come by any, perhaps you could email me at Missshand*hotmail.com (replace the * with the usual 'at' symbol). Happy to share costs of ebay purchase.

Cheers
Bill

Paul Chapman":moan2f8n said:
Hi Bill,

You could always make up some long rods from some suitable metal rod :wink:

Cheers

Paul

I had a problem finding rods the right size as the 9.4mm rods where too small ( the ones I bought :roll: ) and the 10mm too big.

I guess I will have to look harder :(

I was think to try and find out how much the bushes would cost to get made but have not got a round to it :-k

Colin C":3pnlh1ow said:
I was think to try and find out how much the bushes would cost to get made but have not got a round to it :-k

Colin,

I seem to remember seeing some guide bushes somewhere on the internet. They looked similar to the Record ones so they might fit. I'll have a smurf around sometime and see if I can find them again - if I do I'll let you know. Having them made might be quite expensive if it's only a small quantity.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Colin C":2a9bcfvf said:
I had a problem finding rods the right size as the 9.4mm rods where too small ( the ones I bought :roll: ) and the 10mm too big.
The Record bars were chrome plated 3/8in (9.53mm) steel bar - you should still be able to get 3/8in precision ground silver steel rod from an engineering merchant. The alternative might be to buy a parallel reamer and ream out the holes to 10mm so you can use the more widely available metric bar stock, then again maybe not. The screws on the jig are all BSF threads and round-head BSF screws are still available from various supply houses.

Scrit

Thanks both of you :)

I was thinking it might be expensive to get the bushes made ( more than like why I have not look in to it ) but it would be good if the ones you have seen Paul work [-o< .

It is a good jig that I could get more out of if I could get some more bit :(
I will have to start looking for some bar to fit :)

Colin C":119opwjm said:
I was thinking it might be expensive to get the bushes made ( more than like why I have not look in to it )

Hi Colin,

There are firms like this http://www.boneham.co.uk/drill_jig_bushes.htm who do drill guide bushes in all shapes and sizes and would make to order, but the cost of having just a few made would probably be prohibitive :cry: Might be better to find someone who does metalworking as a hobby and would be happy to have a go at making up some :wink:

Cheers

Paul

Paul

Good link,

There is one thing :-k
If a few of us with the record jig want them, may be we could do an order together to keep the cost down.

It might be worth an email :)

Scrit":vmhmrgjs said:
you should still be able to get 3/8in precision ground silver steel rod from an engineering merchant.
Almost unbelieveably Toolbank has a wide range of silver steel, including 3/8". As does Axminster - although they don't have 7mm for the Record 043 short fence rod makers amongst us for some reason. But I digress.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":ynfwp7tn said:
Almost unbelieveably Toolbank has a wide range of silver steel, including 3/8". As does Axminster - although they don't have 7mm for the Record 043 short fence rod makers amongst us for some reason. But I digress.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,
For a change I have some good news for you as Tilgear do 7mm silver steel :)
Plus I have just noticed that they do 3/8 too #-o ( only £3 per length :) )

Colin C":t67mon6o said:
If a few of us with the record jig want them, may be we could do an order together to keep the cost down.

It might be worth an email :)

Hi Colin,

Good idea :idea: If you like, I'll give them a ring - probably easier to explain over the 'phone what we're on about rather than an email. I've got to dash out but I'll try to ring them later today or tomorrow.

Just another thought, the Record 148 is such a good jig, and so many of us keep raving about it (well, you, Scrit and me :D ) that you'd think some enterprising manufacturer (wonder if Rob Lee is listening :wink: ) would have taken the hint and produced a clone of it. It's not only good for dowelling but with the appropriate guide bushes (and some additional ones if they were available :evil: ) for drilling holes for knock down fittings, shelf supports and the like. We must live in hope....

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Colin C":2zun5mh0 said:
Hi Alf,
For a change I have some good news for you as Tilgear do 7mm silver steel :)
Plus I have just noticed that they do 3/8 too #-o ( only £3 per length :) )
Tilgear having anything is never good news :lol: But it's okay, I got some via my "local Toolbank stockist" some time back - once I managed to convince them that yes, they really could get it. Honest. Look, here it is in the big book. See? ](*,) Sheesh, sometimes I really miss the good old days in London where if you can't get the point across in 0.01 of a second just forget it - everyone's got their head stuck in a bucket round here and you're obliged to just keep bashing away until either the penny drops or you expire. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1y2x7578 said:
[
Tilgear having anything is never good news :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I know what you mean but the big problem for me is that I am about 5-6 miles from them ( there should be a smiley for bitting your nails :roll: ) and I had to go them a few days ago ( put my blinckers on before going in :wink: )

I will have to go there in the next few days to try that bar out too ( help :shock: )

Back