Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Alf
Scrit wrote:you should still be able to get 3/8in precision ground silver steel rod from an engineering merchant.

Almost unbelieveably Toolbank has a wide range of silver steel, including 3/8". As does Axminster - although they don't have 7mm for the Record 043 short fence rod makers amongst us for some reason. But I digress.

Cheers, Alf
By Colin C
Alf wrote:Almost unbelieveably Toolbank has a wide range of silver steel, including 3/8". As does Axminster - although they don't have 7mm for the Record 043 short fence rod makers amongst us for some reason. But I digress.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,
For a change I have some good news for you as Tilgear do 7mm silver steel :)
Plus I have just noticed that they do 3/8 too #-o ( only £3 per length :) )
By Paul Chapman
Colin C wrote:If a few of us with the record jig want them, may be we could do an order together to keep the cost down.

It might be worth an email :)

Hi Colin,

Good idea :idea: If you like, I'll give them a ring - probably easier to explain over the 'phone what we're on about rather than an email. I've got to dash out but I'll try to ring them later today or tomorrow.

Just another thought, the Record 148 is such a good jig, and so many of us keep raving about it (well, you, Scrit and me :D ) that you'd think some enterprising manufacturer (wonder if Rob Lee is listening :wink: ) would have taken the hint and produced a clone of it. It's not only good for dowelling but with the appropriate guide bushes (and some additional ones if they were available :evil: ) for drilling holes for knock down fittings, shelf supports and the like. We must live in hope....

Cheers :wink:

Paul
By Alf
Colin C wrote:Hi Alf,
For a change I have some good news for you as Tilgear do 7mm silver steel :)
Plus I have just noticed that they do 3/8 too #-o ( only £3 per length :) )

Tilgear having anything is never good news :lol: But it's okay, I got some via my "local Toolbank stockist" some time back - once I managed to convince them that yes, they really could get it. Honest. Look, here it is in the big book. See? ](*,) Sheesh, sometimes I really miss the good old days in London where if you can't get the point across in 0.01 of a second just forget it - everyone's got their head stuck in a bucket round here and you're obliged to just keep bashing away until either the penny drops or you expire. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf
By Colin C
Alf wrote:[
Tilgear having anything is never good news :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I know what you mean but the big problem for me is that I am about 5-6 miles from them ( there should be a smiley for bitting your nails :roll: ) and I had to go them a few days ago ( put my blinckers on before going in :wink: )

I will have to go there in the next few days to try that bar out too ( help :shock: )
By Colin C
Paul
I will wait to hear what they say :) [-o<
By Pappous
My (to be honest, my lady wife's) surfing unearthed the following:
http://www.toolman.co.uk/commerce.cgi?c ... s&pid=1362
from Toolman which appears to be identical to the old Record jig, only bright blue. There's no reference on the site though to parts, and they didn't reply to my email asking if they have the bits, so I assume not.

Anyone come across these? If any good I was thinking of buying one for the parts. As for the rods idea: brilliant, thanks. Will see how I get on trying for same here in Crete!
By Colin C
Pappous

I think that jig is just one of the later ones as marples did get a bit slap happy with that blue :roll:
By Paul Chapman
Hi Colin,

I telephoned Boneham & Turner and spoke to a very helpful chap there called Chas. As I suspected, the Record guide bushes don't fit within their standard size ranges. One of the problems is that with their standard ranges, as the drill bore size increases, so does the outside diameter of the bush. They would, however, be happy to do "specials". As an indication of price - and this is only a ball-park figure - the price of a 1/4" bush from their standard range would be £5.70. If one ordered a "special" (and I said give me a price for say 50) the price would be £8.70 each.

In my view, provided we could get enough people interested, ordering some specials would not be out of the question. For myself, I have 8 bush carriers and would be interested in 6x10mm bushes and 8x9.5mm bushes (I have 8 of all the other sizes). It all depends how many other people would be prepared to join us if we wanted to make up a bulk order.

If anyone else is interested, please speak up :wink:

Cheers

Paul
By Colin C
Paul
I am interested and would like to get more than one set but only have one spare bush carrier and I am trying to get more :(

Lets see how this pans out :)
By Paul Chapman
OK Colin. Let's keep finding excuses to revive this thread - I'm sure there are plenty of people like us out there who use the Record jig a lot and would like extra bushes. I would like some in 9.5mm for some knock-down fittings I use quite frequently and I wish now that I'd bought more 10mm ones when Record were still manufacturing them.

Cheers :wink:

Paul
By Colin C
Lucky you got alot when it was a round but got mine earlier this year and I keep missing the ones I see :roll:

I am also thinking to try making some more carriers, as I could do with some more :(

Problem is I would need more bushes as well #-o ](*,) :)
By Paul Chapman
Colin,

All the more reason for some enterprising manufacturer to start making it again - it must be over 30 years old so I'm sure the patents would have expired. Is anyone out there listening, I wonder :?: We already know of customers for long rods, guide bushes, guide bush carriers and no doubt complete jigs :wink:

Cheers

Paul
By Colin C
Well Paul,

If you see what some of them go for then yes I think the complete jig would sell, all we need now is some one to start making them again :whistle: 8-[ :)
By Corset
i have the jig and it has proved very usefull i too would like metric fittings and some extra fingers.