Sourcing brass tubes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd buy normal brass tube and treat it. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=agein ... e&ie=UTF-8 There was a good thread on here a while back about some ageing of brass fittings. Door handles I think. No vinegar etc, a dedicated finish. They looked really good treated and the op was very pleased as was his client as I recall. I can't find it for the life of me. Sorry. Maybe someone else remembers?

CHJ":135298fc said:
Have you looked at the supplier links in the One Stop Reference Links at the top of the forum? metals4u for instance to see if they have what you want.

I found a source eventually, perhaps typing the right search term would have been better. :lol:

I'll have a read of that thread thanks....

"Patination fluid" is also a wording you should be looking for.
I was once involved in the contruction of a brass handrail for Leeds Castle in Kent and we had to make a big trough for dipping the parts, we built a jig to hold as many as possible and each 'dipping' got timed so they all came out the same.

-Matt-":2ajpux05 said:
"Patination fluid" is also a wording you should be looking for.
I was once involved in the contruction of a brass handrail for Leeds Castle in Kent and we had to make a big trough for dipping the parts, we built a jig to hold as many as possible and each 'dipping' got timed so they all came out the same.

Hi Matt, were you trying to get a antique brass look? Was it a time consuming job after you had built the trough?

It was to give an aged/ weathered look, to replicate the natural patina that brass develops over time.

The trough was a simple wooden frame, clad with (of all things) old laminate floor planks. It was then lined with a large thick polythene sheet.
It was probably about 5 foot long, a foot wide and a foot deep.

Try a good model shop they have lots of brass be it solid or tube. Failing that look for a forum that is for model railway engines, the type you sit on, those guys use lots of small brass sections.

Back