Sorby Pro-Edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip shop

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had Sorby Pro-Edge

Found a chisel in a garden:

ykzn7lm.jpg

Ground the back:

qIITbNN.jpg

Reground the edge and gave it rub on the stone:

1kMEKJJ.jpg

About a minute and a half. All in all, pretty good.

I love mine, its fantastic for getting really bad chisels into shape!

woodbrains":1qnjb02p said:
Hello,

Did you buy the pro edge because you found the chisel in the garden? :lol:

Mike.

Absolutely, now the chisel is sorted I sold it. :lol:

Truth was; I wrote a long winded post then clicked the submit button and it disappeared. I couldn't be pineappled re-typing it, but I'd spent time uploading pics so posted a much shorter version, and I really do think it's quite good.

General synopsis...

Oil stone - I have one. It's grey and orange and what I use for rubbing edges back and forwards on. It has grits, but I'm not sure how many.
Water stones - tried 'em and we didn't really get on. Fafftastic.
Sharpening Jigs - never had one, but wouldn't be adverse to giving one a go
Worksharp - go whir whir whir for ages, but you get a decent edge after a long wait, grey hairs on thy.
Wet stone grinder (AKA Tormek and their copyists) - My fave up 'til now, but a bit faffy and messy.
Big cast iron thing my Dad gave me - scary and eventually exploded.
Pro-Edge - The culmination of man's scientific development. It's possibly the greatest invention since the Soda Stream.

I obviously have no involvement with Robert Sorby, other that the large BACS transfer deposited in my current account.

Hello,

I like my Tormek, but it has its limitations, so I was considering getting a dry grinder to supplement it. I have a Tormek toolrest mount, so I can use the tool jigs etc. on another machine, but probably needs to be a wide wheel grinder. Your post just got me thinking, though. I have a fairly brutish, 4 inch belt sander, that has seen very little use as such in all the years I have had it. It might be worth me setting the Tormek tool rest to work with that. It will be noisier than the Pro Edge, but still could be a convenient compromise.

Mike.

Chip shop":3qnuy1wt said:
Mike,

You're only in Liverpool, why not call over for a cuppa and try the pro edge?

Ed.

Hello,

What a kind offer, I might just do that, thanks! =D>

Mike.

I’ve just changed from a wide wheeled 8 inch grinder to a Proedge. The grinder was fine for many years, but I won’t be going back since I’ve tried the Proedge.

Absolutely right Phill. Nothing intrinsically wrong with a conventional grinder. I was very happy with mine until it started to vibrate. I started to get concerned about the energy stored on the wheels wizzing round at 3000 revs! My very first experience with the Proedge was very good, and although I have not had any difficulty with sharpening on a round wheel, I did find the Proedge easier and quicker to accurately resharpen my turning tools. When you switch the Proedge off, it stops! Ie it doesn’t run for 2 minutes being just something else to be aware of. It would be wrong really to say there is anything wrong with a conventional grinder, I just like the Proedge better. Not sure there is any advantage/disadvantage to the hollow or flat grind profile once you have changed from one to the other.

I’ve had the proedge for years and wouldn’t be without it especially for woodturning. How else are you gonna touch up a gouge in less than ten seconds. Repeatable and accurate.

woodbrains":2kczn3k6 said:
Chip shop":2kczn3k6 said:
Mike,

You're only in Liverpool, why not call over for a cuppa and try the pro edge?

Ed.

Hello,

What a kind offer, I might just do that, thanks! =D>

Mike.

Any time, I'm just by Denbigh, LL16. Let me know when you're coming.

Reading lots of positive things about the pro edge.

I bought a tormek T4 about 6 months ago, and I must say I havent been too impressed by it. I am not turning, so it's only used for chisels and planes irons (all PMV11). It takes ages for the tormek to grind the primary bevel. Plus I am not a big fan of the hollow grind.

I've been considering to get the proedge to put the primary bevel, and then use my water stones to put a secondary bevel. Is the proedge suitable (ie fast and efficient) for plane irons ?

Many thanks for your thoughts !

Noho12C":3kfca41t said:
I've been considering to get the proedge to put the primary bevel, and then use my water stones to put a secondary bevel. Is the proedge suitable (ie fast and efficient) for plane irons ?

Fast enough to need care not to remove excessive material, all depends on Belt Grade.
Trading Rapid cut-Course Finish with something like a Ceramic 60 grit against Slower Cut-Fine finish Trizact A30 (P800 grit) or finer and heating risk. and dozens of grades in between.

I've read a lot about the Pro-Edge on this forum but I get the impression it doesn't overheat the steel. Or perhaps it does but you have to do the dip in water thing, as you would on a bench grinder.

I've used a linisher before and it certainly overheats the steel if you abrade for more than a few seconds, in exactly the same way as a bench grinder.

I suspect most users also use a jig which means very, very little steel is removed (to my mind one of the best reasons for using a jig) - 99% of turners use HHS tools anyway and wouldn't choose to quench them. (I confess to quenching mine quite often - but I quench to stop them getting hot, not to cool them after they've got too hot.)

JohnPW":1dvsopfy said:
I've read a lot about the Pro-Edge on this forum but I get the impression it doesn't overheat the steel. Or perhaps it does but you have to do the dip in water thing, as you would on a bench grinder.

I've used a linisher before and it certainly overheats the steel if you abrade for more than a few seconds, in exactly the same way as a bench grinder.

I wouldn't say it's impossible to overheat the steel with a Pro-Edge, but I find it accomplishes most day-to-day grinding tasks without ever having to dip the tool in water. I normally use ceramic belts, maybe that makes a difference.

But I've also used plenty of traditional grinding wheels and, as long as you replace the standard rubbish wheel with something half decent, then I never found overheating to be too much of a problem there either. Once you've got some experience with any grinder you should be able to avoid overheating, and even if you occasionally make a mistake and there's a bit of bluing, so what? It's not like the tool's ruined. You just cool it down and grind away the mistake, it's not a big deal.

I have a permanently set up sharpening station, with a Pro-Edge left at a 25 degree setting, once it takes more than about ten or a dozen strokes to hone a tool I give it a touch on the Pro-Edge to grind back to within about half a mill or a mill from the cutting edge and that's it. As long as you don't have to grind right past the cutting edge (as you would for example if you're grinding out a nick), then overheating is most unlikely to happen.

Sharpening-Station-2.jpg

Attachments

• Sharpening-Station-2.jpg
    Sharpening-Station-2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 583
Yep. No matter what kind of grinder you use, grinding should never shorten the tool unless a nick has to be taken out. Cutters are only shortened during honing, and by basically the size of the burr that's raised.

Back