Some Newbie Help - Ringbox

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medflow

Reaction score
First off - hello everyone! I'm J or Medd or whatever really. I've never done any woodworking outside of what we did at school so many years ago and I have a little idea I'd like to do for a ring box.

My girlfriend loves sewing and I thought that the perfect ringbox to put a special ring into would be centred around that. So I have the idea of getting a thread spool/bobbin and using this as the box.

My idea is to cut the top off and then hollow out a interior big enough for the ring, probably put a couple of wedges of foam in there as a holder and hopefully use some tiny flat magnets to hold the lid. I'm not sure how to hinge the lit however and would like a little advice on this and the project as a whole. I'm planning on working on it at weekends over the next couple of months. To me it seems like a little novice project, but I'm looking for a hobby so I'm more than willing to throw myself at this.

I don't have great access to tools at the moment, but someone said I might be able to use a Dremel or similar for this as I could use a routing bit to cut out the inside of the bobbin?

As I write this, it's occurred to me I could also cut it length ways into a small chest of sorts as well... but I kind of like the idea of a vertical box!

Thanks in advance I guess!

Given your limited access to tools, I actually think your idea of cutting it length ways is better. Not only would it look better, but it would be a damn sight easier to hinge.

If you deconstructed it by cutting off the top and bottom, you could then carefully chisel out an area in the main section. Stick it all back together, then cut it in half down the length. A nice delicate hinge on the back, and you're set

Hi,

It does sound a lot easier... I was wondering it it might be better to buy some dowel and build the bobbin rather than try and chop one up. I'm waiting on a width of the ring but looking around, I could struggle getting a good width. For the sake of about £8 (quick Google search) I can get some dowel and plenty of spare for experimenting with then.

If I buy an actual bobbin then it'll have a hole down through the center and made of wood. Or I make from scratch from a solid dowel.

Hi
I assume your bobbin will be something like this

S06-0705P01WL.jpg

https://www.rapidonline.com/Catalogue/P ... AoqQ8P8HAQ

Maybe a pivoting lid? a simple decorative round head tack glued in may work for the pivot. Would possibly work lengthways too if the ring is lying down?

2836b65fa752e711df025065eeef602f.jpg

or if you go lengthways with the ring standing up some small magnets and make it a pull apart box?

09c49eb14d2ea2fa901cef30e1fe61a0.jpg

Attachments

• 09c49eb14d2ea2fa901cef30e1fe61a0.jpg
    09c49eb14d2ea2fa901cef30e1fe61a0.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 230
  • 2836b65fa752e711df025065eeef602f.jpg
    2836b65fa752e711df025065eeef602f.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 230
  • S06-0705P01WL.jpg
    S06-0705P01WL.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 230
Hi,

Just so! I've seen some fairly wide ones on ebay, about 30 - 35mm that may do. Going to ring the jewellers and get a width. I was wondering how a pivot might work. Would that just be drilling a hole through the lid and into the body and glueing in the tip?

Would a rotary tool and routing bit be the best was to make space for the ring? I think a friend of mine has a dremel and bits that I could borrow.

A rotary tool will basically have a small drill bit as the 'routing bit'. So yes you could use it, but it would take ages and be quite inaccurate

You're better off buying a forstner bit and using that to cut out the insides

With a little more research I've decided to take up your advice and split the bobbin length ways and make a sort of chest. I plan to chisel out a 10mm channel through it for the ring. I've found some cherry wood dowels, do you think that would be a suitable wood?

Would a small hacksaw be ok to cut the dowels or should I look for something else?

Thanks for all the advice so far! It's helped me refine the idea. I've starting doing a quick mock up in SketchUp to make sure I get the sizes correct!

Not sure what you're wanting to use the dowels for?

A hacksaw is for metal - it has very small teeth and will clog up on wood easily. I'd recommend getting a cheap and cheerful wood saw

To make the spool from. Dowel may be the wrong term, but I've found a supplier of a cylindrical length of wood at 30mm wide that I can make the body from and then some a slightly wider diameter to create two end pieces.

Ah, makes sense! Just figured a hacksaw would have a nice thin blade so I don't loose too much material and considering this thing is only going to be 60mm long I didn't want anything too big! I'll take a look.

Some of the small pull saws have a narrow kerf (cut width) and they are made for wood. Lidl and aldi often carry them or screwfix sell a small Irwin pull saw. Be careful though they only cut on the pull stroke so you should be very gentle on the push stroke or they can bend. They do give a nice clean cut though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi Medd

Nice little project for a beginner.
Don't you know anyone local with a lathe who could make you the basic bobbin ready for you to work with? It's only a 10 minute job and could be made from an offcut tbh.
Or maybe someone on here local enough to turn one for you. I'd be happy to do it but you couldn't live much further away from me if you tried which is a shame as you could have had access to my workshop and help but if you get stuck please pm me as I'm sure postage for a bobbin wouldn't be too expensive.

Hopefully it will get you started on the hobby that we all enjoy.

cheers
Bob

meddigo":w139o8q8 said:
To make the spool from. Dowel may be the wrong term, but I've found a supplier of a cylindrical length of wood at 30mm wide that I can make the body from and then some a slightly wider diameter to create two end pieces.

Ah I see! Sorry, I thought you were working with an existing spool not making your own one. Might be worth looking on ebay for a bunch of real ones? Probably quite cheap, and might be a bit more authentic?

I'd also recommend a Japanese pull saw - very easy to use and nice thin cut

The problem with starting anything new like this (believe me because I'm a Grade 1 amateur), is you don't have a shed full of finishes, dyes, tools. So what can start out a simple (and very nice idea btw), can become expensive because you're buying stuff for one project. I don't mean to turn you off it, quite the opposite, but maybe have a head scratch first.
First thing I'd suggest is try to borrow a saw, you must know someone who owns a dovetail saw.
yUw18Yo.jpg

This sort of shape.
There's thousands of them hanging up in peoples garages or banging about in tool boxes. Don't want to make assumptions but Dad, Grandad, a mate who's quite handy with the diy etc. The Lidl saws Neil mentions would be perfect but the fact is they only sell them once in a while. A Drill. Again borrow one. Doesn't matter if its a hand held electric or a traditional one. Ask about.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Fat-Woo ... 237c49f85d You'll have to check your ring diameter (no jokes at the back) but it will have to fit.
I'd get a larger size bobbin, cut it in half with your borrowed saw. Throw it away then by your third attempt you should be cutting fairly straight if you have any hand/eye about you.
Once you have your sizing worked out I'd buy a cheap Forstner bit of the particular size you want you ring hole... steady now at the back. The Forstner will give you a flat bottom hole.
My god this post is turning out like an episode of 'Allo 'Allo.
This is when you might need to think about finishing, dyeing your Bobbin. You probably will want it all to match after all.
You'll need to clamp it somehow while drilling both sides of your half bobbin.
If you have bought a slightly oversize bobbin, this should give you room to drill a hole for a swivel hinge. You could source a small diameter threaded bar, or cut the head off a screw and wind it in carefully with pliers then thread the lid on by hand or you could find summat on ebay etc that's specific. It's a ring box, I'd go with the screw into pre drilled holes. Job done. Wind the lid on and you're pretty much there. Cut some thin material to cover the bobbin holes top and bottom and glue it in. You have your ring box. All it needs now is an internal finish. Spend a couple of quid, get some glue and some flocking maybe. ( Search flocking on this site to see what I mean.) Then spend some time on the external finish. That's up to you. matt /shiny etc....

Good luck popping the question if that's what you're doing of course..... ;) And enjoy making it!

Wow! Thank you all so much for the responses so far!

@Neil - Thanks for the tips, I'll certainly look into it! I like the sound of a pullsaw!

@Matt - I decided to make it from scratch as I haven't been able to find any spools that I think are wide enough to hollow out and not get too close to the sides! It's got to survive being in a backpack for a couple of weeks so I figure making it myself I can make sure its solid and I'll probably get more out of it!

@Lons - Unfortunately I don't know anyone who does this sort of thing! I know a plethora of mechanics and plumbers but no one who does this sort of thing :( But thank you so much for the offer! I may PM you for some tips if I get stuck.

@BM - I know what you mean! I'm starting to get to the point of completely over thinking it all haha. I don't mind dropping some money, I think it will be worth it in the long run and even if this is the only thing I ever make, at least I tried my hand and hopefully something nice will come out of it! I don't know anyone who owns a that type of saw, my Grandad would have done but we passed on most of his tools! A drill I can borrow and probably a variety of drill bits too.

Those bobbins would be a great width, but I wanted something a little longer! Still, cheap enough to buy to practise on so I may grab a few. I'm planning on make a sort of chest box, rather than having the bobbin vertical now. But all sage advice in either case. I'm looking at buying a small, tabletop vice that I can clamp to my desk. Hoping it will be man enough for a bit of chisel work!

Are there any recommendations on how to hold the wood/bobbin while cutting in half?

I was thinking just some basic linseed oil to rub on as a finish. And I have some packing foam from work (that you'd find around a laptop) to make a couple of wedges to sit the ring between, I'll probably wrap that in black fabric.

My shopping list is so far....

A saw
A drill (borrowed)
6, 4, 2mm bits (for end holes, hinge, magnets)
Vice and soft jaws
Square
30 and 35mm cherry dowel
4mm barrel hinges or some small, ornate hinges (depends how brave I'm feeling)
Clamps
Black fabric for lining
Various grits of sandpaper (any recommendations on what?)

And thanks for the luck! Won't be until the end of April but I'm already bricking it :D haha

for ring inserts, i have stuck a piece of washing up sponge to a piece of cardboard/hardboard or very thin ply. I then made a saw cut across the sponge, stopping at the backing. cut the material to a generous length, stick one end to the backing and bring it round the front, tuck into the saw cut and stick to the other end of the backing. You end up with a washboard effect- when you come to do it, i will describe it better for you. I have some nice pigskin offcuts that might do for what you need too.

Hi,

Yep, I see what you mean! Seems a lot easier than wrapping two pieces and trying to get them in there!

it is. the alternative may be to use a silk square and scrunch it into the space.

Back