Soba No. 5 - Only manufacturer making a corrugated sole?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed on the Soba India site (apparently the manufacturer who are making Axminster's Rider planes) that they were listing a corrugated sole No. 5. As far as I can tell, they seem to be the only manufacturer currently making a plane with this sole type - a dubious selling point, depending on your point of view. I thought it might be worth a punt to see what it was like from a novelty point of view.

Chronos UK are one of the main suppliers, but they weren't stocking it. They were pretty good though, and gave me a 8 week wait on one, so for £40 I put an order in (since my order they are now stocking them).

Executive summary is that it isn't really functional out of the box. Blade was completely blunt. There is a tiny issue with the sole flatness, but it could be easily sorted. It ain't no Lie Neilson, but for £40 it is probably worth having if you are interested in trying out something new with this type of sole.

Video below for those that are interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlHyRsC6gDY

Bodgers":2603m96j said:
I noticed on the Soba India site (apparently the manufacturer who are making Axminster's Rider planes) that they were listing a corrugated sole No. 5. As far as I can tell, they seem to be the only manufacturer currently making a plane with this sole type - a dubious selling point, depending on your point of view.
FWIW I bought a couple of Silverline No. 4s last year and they have corrugated soles, so Soba are not the only company offering this feature. Generally the Silverline planes are surprisingly good, usable tools, especially considering the price, but I don't really care for the corrugations. No specific problem with them but I would prefer a flat sole.

I wish the thanks button were still here *sigh*

Thanks for that Bodgers.

I had a vague recollection that there's another corrugated-sole plane out there but for the life of me I couldn't remember the brand. Didn't think it was Silverline I was half remembering, had a notion it was an oddball brand you never hear of. Assuming it exists it's not impossible it's manufactured by Soba and just rebadged.

I think you are probably right about the Silverlines.

Soba are probably manufacturing for a few different companies to different sort of specs maybe...
ED65":38nus1ab said:
I wish the thanks button were still here *sigh*

Thanks for that Bodgers.

I had a vague recollection that there's another corrugated-sole plane out there but for the life of me I couldn't remember the brand. Didn't think it was Silverline I was half remembering, had a notion it was an oddball brand you never hear of. Assuming it exists it's not impossible it's manufactured by Soba and just rebadged.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Back