Snooker Cue Splice Help!?!?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex2662

Reaction score
Hello Everybody! I'm a Newbie :D

I have started making a cue and this forum keeps appearing when I Google questions, hopefully this reads well as it’s quite hard to relay my question.

I want to know about the angle of the hand splice, when measuring out my hand splice it “appears” (as I haven’t actually cut and stuck it yet) that the splice detail will be about half the length of the splice timber, I’m making the splice timber about 450-500mm long (from base of cue to start of splice detail). This is if I taper the base of the ash to 1mm at the base of the cue before I actually glue the splice in place. I want to achieve a smaller splice, Do you plane the splice tapers completely straight? Or do you curve them so the splice detail is smaller? Or are my calculations incorrect and will the splice actually be smaller then I’m working it out to be.
Hopefully this makes sense, any queries please ask.

No idea how to make a cue but what I would do is go onto youtube, find an expert or two and pose your question to them.

Andy

Go in a sports shop and take a tape measure, have a browse round their hand spliced cue's. :wink: Some photo's of work in progress would be nice to see.

No pro but there was an article on the back page of a wood working mag , "get wood working " I think , it was on the very last page , it must of been about 2 or 3 years ago but it showed several of the splices used . I dont have the issue any more but some one may have ! it was in a section that covering articles from "old issues" , ie the mag from the 50's 60's .

Sorry I cant help more but it might point you in the right direction

Kind regards Sam

Cant remember where I saw it exactly but there was a recent forum member on here that did this for a living. When im a little more awake I'll see if I can find a link ;-)

Edit: look on the projects section 5- 10 posts down- bet that guy could help you. Sorry not sure how to post a link on my mobile

I hope this will help a bit. It's from The Woodworker in 1937 so should be out of copyright by now:

IMG_1862_zps186a4cbb.jpg

IMG_1863_zpsff931c73.jpg

IMG_1864_zpsdd55a1ec.jpg

Have fun and show us what you make!

Thank you everyone for the replies, i will get some photos on here asap. i am currently struggling to source the dark hardwood for the butt. someone might be able to advise me but i think Ebony is a no-no nowadays? plus its costing the earth, so going to try and sort a Wenge or a Black Walnut for the butt.

The splice details shown in the book are far to technical for me! i was intending on planing and gluing the lengths to the shaft to achieve a splice effect, without actually doing a splice.

this is the first cue i've done so i'm just going to try it and see what it looks like, Trial and error, with probably more error!!

thanks again.

Andy T Thats the article I was trying to direct at , it was repeated in an issue a couple of years ago . And boy dont you have a good library !!

Kind regards Sam

The sharp pointed splices indicate machine splicing the rounded splices are always hand done. That's how you tell the difference.

Thanks everyone for the help, it has taken a little while to get the photos, upload them and put them on here, but I have done it!!

I have some pictures of before, during, my misjudgement of the amount of PVA required, my naff tools (that make the finished product so much sweeter), and the first clamped splice.

Off the back of this I intend to purchase a bandsaw, some more tools and a decent bench and then mass produce cues!! Maybe not mass produce cues, but I’ve had enough of trying to cut rosewood with blunt saws!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 133
  • image[1].jpeg
    image[1].jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 133
  • image[2].jpeg
    image[2].jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 133
  • image[3].jpeg
    image[3].jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 133
  • image[4].jpeg
    image[4].jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 133
  • image[5].jpeg
    image[5].jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 133
  • image[6].jpeg
    image[6].jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 133
  • image[7].jpeg
    image[7].jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 134
  • image[8].jpeg
    image[8].jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 134
  • image[9].jpeg
    image[9].jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 134
more photos

Attachments

• image[10].jpeg
    image[10].jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 135
  • image[11].jpeg
    image[11].jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 135
  • image[12].jpeg
    image[12].jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 135
  • image[13].jpeg
    image[13].jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 135
  • image[14].jpeg
    image[14].jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 138
  • image[15].jpeg
    image[15].jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 139
Wow wow wow brilliant work!!! Have you got any pics of your finished splices? I still need to get some ash for my attempt! Where did you get yours from?

no pictures of the finished splice yet, I'm not rushing it so still only done one splice. i got the Ash from our joiner shop at work!

Also, I'd like a second hand Bandsaw, i'm going to post a messgae in the wanted part but just thought i'd ask here as well.

I'VE HIT A WALL!!!

i havent got a lathe to square off the centre joint, but i did get a very square cut when i originally cut the ash in half. now i;ve put the two parts together and they are bent at the joint?!??!?

one piece cues in future i think, i cant afford a lathe !!!!!!

any suggestions?

Back