Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By rafezetter
phil.p wrote:Move the hinge? :D

I've done that before now - but when the hinge is for a "show door" that isn't painted which is becoming more common, moving a hinge just isn't an option.

Jacob, most of the time I'm pretty darn careful, fully aware of the consequences. Stubborn ones get various treatments, whacking it in with a hammer, or steps and bracing my bum on the opposite doorframe and as much pressure as I can bring to bear - which is quite a lot, I'm a big lad - up to painted wood getting a lick from my small pencil torch (same size as a creme brulee caramelizer, coz that's what it is), so this is far from a common thing, but when it does; boy it gets right on my proverbials, especially in a "show door" with no way to hide anything. Older slotted screws will get touched up with a dremel if I must, but that doesn't always work if the screws were the cheapest nastiest kind that will only withstand being driven in, but on removal, one half of the slot breaks off.

Why fitters insist on using the screws that come with the hinge is beyond me, they are ALWAYS tripe, even for more expensive hinges, and I've yet to hear any complaints about the slight colour mismatch tween the bright silver plated ones supplied and the ones I carry.....

Edit - As it happens I bought some fire door hinges rated at 80kg's just the other day for my workbench - I've just dug out from the bin the supplied bag of screws, yes at 1.00am, and managed to cut one in half with ordinary pliers with little effort. Rubbish.

Oh and then there's the usual occasional times we've all done, and gone one mm too far in tightening when doing woodwork.

Hopefully Chaoticbob's screw extractor will see me right for a while. When it arrives I'll do a test in Oak and report back.
By rafezetter
Robbo3 wrote:For future reference, what about a screwdriver bit in a brace. Provided you have access you'll get both pressure & torque.

Hmm I do have a brace sitting around somewhere, no idea on bits for it though.
By Jacob
rafezetter wrote:....- up to painted wood getting a lick from my small pencil torch (same size as a creme brulee caramelizer, coz that's what it is), .......
That's a good idea. I often use a blow lamp but I've got a little culinary one ( for singeing orange peel for cocktails etc.)
The main thing is to clean the slot/cross, use sharp fresh screwdriver and the magic trick is to tighten a click before you start to loosen - it breaks the seal and if it damages by camming out it doesn't matter as the other side of the slot for loosening will be undamaged so you've got a second chance and you know how tight it is.
Another thing is to have exactly the right screwdriver or bit. A slot needs a bit slightly less wide than the slot, so it doesn't ride up the countersunk sides of the hole.
A long screwdriver helps - it's easier to keep it straight and perpendicular to the screw head.
Brace and bit not good - if it needs that much force it'll break anyway.
By HJC1972
I find that sometimes merely giving the screwdriver a tap with a mallet before loosening has been enough to break the rust bond on old screws. Failing that, i always do as the previous poster has mentioned and tighten them up before trying to loosen them. Also, I have a big old beast of a soldering iron and this has got me out of trouble many times, particularly on wind-out Victorian table tops, when not only has the screw rusted in but the top may have contracted/expanded, thus twisting the shaft of the screw. It’s a right old PITA waiting for the screw to heat up enough though.

I have also managed to get them out by plug cutting round the top and then you can sometimes just get enough grip on the stem with a pair of narrow nosed Mole grips.

I do like the idea of a long bored and narrow hole cutter though. That could save a lot of head scratching.
By HJC1972
And another thing....

I have bought various types of damaged screw head screw removers over the years. Usually along the lines of a reverse cut drill tap or drill bit. Aldi had them in today when I called in.

Useless, every single one, every single time I’ve tried them.