Ok, interruptions over and I'm back in the workshop. A nice steady 13° despite the hail showers outside.
I finished cutting all the mortices for the apron rails. Just to cheer up El Barto, here's a less than perfect one where I got a bit over-enthusiastic with the chisel.
I think I will get away with it once the table is glued together, so please keep quiet about it...
Chisel spotters may be interested to know that on these narrow, shallow but long mortices I got the best results with a 1970s Stanley 5001 firmer chisel, despite its plastic handle, which I see no need to replace.
I reckon it's a good idea to accept Custard's advice on this project - or any project - but wanted to practice making a twin mortice and tenon joint on this rather small scale, before going ahead for real.
I do have a 5/32" chisel which looks the ideal thickness to use. Marking out is a bit of a challenge though! Mortice gauges only go down to about 1/4". I want to use the same gauge settings for both parts of the joint, but the front of the rail is set back from the front of the leg by ⅛"
I decided the answer was to use an ordinary single pin marking gauge but shim it out when marking the tenon. I made the first mark equal to the thickness of the chisel, then moved it over by that much to get the next setting.
On the tenon, the nearest thing the right size was an ⅛" drill bit. This worked better than this clumsily posed photo would suggest, but I think I will plane something flat to the right size next time.
Sawing the tenons was just like sawing dovetails
with the spare bit in the middle sawn out with my bread and cheese powered fretsaw
I could pare the cheeks with a nice slender old bevel edge chisel
which fits easily between
Custard suggested drilling and paring the little mortice. This needs something to hold the drill nice and vertical, while allowing slow hand control. Time for the Millers Falls No 207!
I set a special depth stop at the top of the feed
and made a little row of holes
which I pared out
I seem to have missed out on taking any photos of the next step, which was to compare chiselling out the other mortice, so here are some pictures of the chisel I used instead
After a little more paring and fiddling about, I got this far
then this far
I hadn't planned to, but I did take a very small trim off the tenons to make a little setback on the shoulder on top. I didn't do so on the underside, which is why it looked like this
which is the point of doing a trial version before spoiling the real thing, at least when picky woodworkers come round and lie under the table to inspect its hinder parts.
The really good thing is that the joint is plenty strong enough, even without glue, and will be fine for the table.
Back to the tenons next time.