Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By rxh
Thanks IWW. This plane is number two of a batch of three. I made the first one as a simple rebate plane but I decided to add “bells and whistles” to the second one. The front was the only place I could think of to put the nickers and it seems to work OK. I’m happy for anyone to use the idea.

I do try to work out designs on paper before cutting materials. I used to be more impetuous but am more cautious these days.....

Your plane is most intriguing and is very nicely made. Maybe another way of holding the nicker would have been a “banjo bolt” running through the body of the plane to a knurled nut on the other side.
By IWW
rxh wrote: ...... Maybe another way of holding the nicker would have been a “banjo bolt” running through the body of the plane to a knurled nut on the other side......

Yes, that could have been a way of doing it more neatly than having that chunky block screwed to the side. I would still have needed the recess to sit the nicker in, to bring it flush with the edge of the blade. As I said, a little more thought before acting might have induced me to do several things differently. It does work nicely, and your plane seems to do its intended job well, so I guess that's what really matters in the end. Someday, I might get something just right (to my own eyes, at least), but it could be a ways off yet... :(

Cheers,
Ian