Small aquarium stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheffield Tony

Ghost of the disenchanted
Reaction score
This was a few years back, but I thought I'd share it as we seem to have aquarium talk breaking out. This is at the much more modest end of the scale. We had picked up a 65L tank for free from my SIL, and my son wanted to have some fish. We were struggling to find a place to put it, having twigged that 65L of water is heavy, so not easy to relocate when filled, and likely to be a bit messy. But then I had an inspiration.

First I needed a stand. I had just made an oak mantle piece, and laid solid oak floor boarding in the hall, and there was a small pile of offcuts. At that point I had only a workmate to work with., and a few hand tools.

pt1.jpg

The confusing extraneous grooves were in the underside of the floorboards to start with, but will not be seen. They'd been pre-finished with Osmo, so I simply did the rest to match, it has survived water splashes perfectly for a few years now.

pt2.jpg

The holes in the back and a little internal shelf hidden behind the deep aprons give somewhere to hide the 4-way adaptor, the holes are big enough to pass a 13A plug.

pt3.jpg

Those cheap aluminium sash clamps we were talking about on another thread are useful for something, see !

tank.jpg

In place. This opening was originally going to take a woodburner. I had opened it out to the builder's opening, tiled the hearth, lime rendered the inside and fitted steel closure plate. But the room is warm enough without and as you can see it had turned into a child's playroom by this stage. The tiles are onto a structural hearth so going nowhere, is splash resistant, and a bit out of the way of play.

The tank is still there, but the plastic plants have been replaced with real ones now.

Attachments

• pt1.jpg
    pt1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 275
  • pt2.jpg
    pt2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 275
  • pt3.jpg
    pt3.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 275
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 275
That's a clever way of still making a feature of the fire surround, it looks great ! Seems to compliment some other oak furniture you've made as well ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I only made the stand and the mantle piece in that photo. The other furniture was bought because my delivery times are too long ... it is chunky oak stuff bought at a "garden centre", made in the far east. I looks a bit like Oak Furnitureland before they ran out of big pieces of wood, if you know what I mean. I did try to make the bits I did fit in with what we had.

good sizing.
modern stuff has cupboard space underneath, but that turns it into a piece of furniture that overshadows the tank.

Very nice.

Back