SketchUp users et al.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shady":1swhhlny said:
Honestly - Alf - typical shallow female response to the peacock's feathers... :wink:
Yep. :wink:

Shady":1swhhlny said:
Now the Navy and the RAF both go to war sitting down in comfort: what sort of warrior is that?
A well-rested one?
naughty.gif
:lol:

Cheers, Alf

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear... :roll: No wonder I always hated pilots. They got paid more, for the fun of driving the ultimate 'sportscars', bought by the taxpayer, and the girls fell for their cheesy fighter pilot stories every time...

Grrr: still, at least it's much harder to loot places like Kuwait city from 20,000 feet..

Shady

Why would you want to go into battle carrying your own luggage and dirty laundry? At least if you have to face these tribulations, I think its best to do so after a hot shower, fresh coffee and a breakfast eaten off china.

What say you?

Cheers

Tim

Now come on Tim - anyone who goes into battle, knowing that if it all goes horribly wrong their 'home' will slip beneath the waves from under them is obviously deranged... Joking aside, that would be my same fear as an airman: if someone shoots my landrover, I get out and run away on nice safe terra firma, as opposed to all sorts of unpleasantness.

Nope, infantry is the business: the least high profile target on the battlefield, but the most important element: I give you Field Marshal Earl Wavell's view:
I do feel strongly that the Infantry arm (with a capital "I") does not receive either the respect or the treatment to which its importance and its exploits entitle it. This may possibly be understandable, though misguided, in peace; it is intolerable in war.

Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm. The role of the average artilleryman, for instance, is largely routine; the setting of a fuse, the loading of a gun, even the laying of it are processes which, once learnt, are mechanical. The infantryman has to use initiative and intelligence in almost every step he moves, every action he takes on the battle-field. We ought therefore to put our men of best intelligence and endurance into the Infantry.

In all the long history of war on land the front-line fighting man, whose role is to close with the enemy and force him to flee, surrender, or be killed—the only method by which battles are ever won—has two categories only—those who fight mounted—once the Knights-at-arms, then the Cavalry, now the Royal Armoured Corps—and those who fight on their feet—the inevitable, enduring, despised, long-suffering Infantry (with a very capital I). So let us always write Infantry with a specially capital "I" and think of them with the deep admiration they deserve. And let us Infantrymen wear our battle-dress, like our rue, with a difference; and throw a chest in it, for we are the men who win battles and wars.

Gravel belly and proud of it! (with the knackered back and knees to prove it... :roll: )

Shady":1kapbn58 said:
if someone shoots my landrover, I get out and run away on nice safe terra firma, as opposed to all sorts of unpleasantness.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you seen the things they shoot at landrovers? Not much landrover left I fear!

I think the Field Marshall may have a slight bias and is possibly only making an Intra army comparison (in which case I agree). Limited number of infantry men at Trafalgar for example.

All in all, whichever one you are a member of, you are nails. RAF excepted.

Cheers

Tim

You're right Tim, he is.

Having said which: Hmm, Trafalgar - wasn't it an honourary Infantryman (aka Marine) who did for that Nelson fella? All those big French boats, but it was a sharpshooter's bullet that did the British fleet the most damage that day...

Anyway, I'll stop there - don't want to offend anyone - except the RAF :twisted:

I don't think you'll find many marines that will take kindly to being described as infantrymen!

If you are going to Tools2005, you could test the theory by asking that question out loud in The Turk's Head in Exeter - a favoured haunt for the Lympstone boys.

Cheers

Tim

tim":1x199sut said:
I don't think you'll find many marines that will take kindly to being described as infantrymen!
If you really want to upset a marine try calling him a sailor :lol:

I bear the scars

Andy

Nah - they are - it's a bit like paras - they're Infantry who have given up on learning all the Infantryman's arts, and concentrate purely on the dismounted stuff.. :twisted: (but, I will give you, the marines do it very, very well. )

now come on the navy sailors and officers go down with there ship :?
the Army men and officers go over the top :roll:

the RAF put there offices into a 6*4 copit send them of to war go back and drink tea :D

so whos :sign3:

now

martn

Back