Sketchup help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1. How do you snap/align objects to the bounds of other objects? so for example, if I have 2 different sized boxes in different locations and I want to position one right next to the other so that the sides are perfectly aligned and the ends flush. If one object is a copy of another, then snap seems to work. But if they're two different sized boxes, snap doesn'nt seem to work.

2. How do you move a face in the direction of the face's normal?

Hmm - think I figured out the first issue. I managed to do it by constraining the move operation in a single axis, and then using the inference feature to snap to a particular point on that axis from the other box. And repeating for the other axis.

Brentingby":28vigvlx said:
transatlantic":28vigvlx said:
2. How do you move a face in the direction of the face's normal?

That's what Push/Pull does.

That will create extra geometry. I want to move the original face. For example, I have a face that isn't aligned with any axis, which I want to offset, and then move the new offset face out in the direction of the face's normal

Then just use the Move tool. If you aren't moving it on axis, set a guideline perpendicular to the face and move the face along the guideline.

Or you could use Push/Pull and then erase the excess geometry.

Brentingby":1zsifhno said:
If you aren't moving it on axis, set a guideline perpendicular to the face and move the face along the guideline.

I was trying to do just that, but couldn't figure out how. Could you explain how?

Use the protractor tool to make a guideline at 90° to an edge of the face. Then move the face along the guideline.

If you have two cubes, one twice as big as the other, and you want to align the centres of faces; draw construction lines with the protractor tool across the corners, then pick up the centre of one and move to the other construction lines.

Back