Six Board Chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally a chest for holding flour, The legs hold the contents off the floor. Our groups carpender has made a couple. Your project looks really good and well proportioned. Where did you source the hinges from?

Thanks chaps :)

bourbon":2g9cc7y3 said:
Originally a chest for holding flour, The legs hold the contents off the floor. Our groups carpender has made a couple. Your project looks really good and well proportioned. Where did you source the hinges from?

Interesting to know, thanks. The hinges came from ebay.

DTR":8om0mts3 said:
Thanks chaps :)

bourbon":8om0mts3 said:

Interesting to know, thanks. The hinges came from ebay.
If I may be so bold. Have you got a link to the seller. Our group has a Blacksmith who can make Hinges (and does) but I feel guilty when he won't accept any money for them when he could sell them to someone else. ( weird I know)

That's got a lovely deceptive simplicity to it Dave (deceptive because when something is that "simple" it's not really "simple", it's "fundamental" and if everything isn't perfect there's nowhere to hide mistakes...).
Not sure about the paint, but I'm an awkward git at the best of times :D

bourbon":3qv7v4sa said:
If I may be so bold.

You may :)

https://m.ebay.co.uk/seller?sid=logoconrad

MarkDennehy":3qv7v4sa said:
Not sure about the paint, but I'm an awkward git at the best of times :D

Thanks :) I thought the paint would be a bit divisive, I'm surprised there hasn't been more comments. The wood is tulip so it was never going to look great on its own.

nabs":3qv7v4sa said:
looks great - I like the nails too!

Oh, I don't mind paint itself, it was just the colour :D
I figure if you're going to paint furniture, never paint it white, you'll be dusting for the rest of your natural life because it shows up *everything* :D
I've got some nice red milk paint I've been dying to use for a while that I have planned to use on a small box or something similar for "testing" :D
Mind you, I think poplar looks nice enough with some BLO, but then, I'm a little odd sometimes :)

Oh I see :lol: White fits with the rest of the decor? *shrug*. Some of the poplar I used looked great, but some had that green tinge. If you do make a box, I look forward to seeing it!

A sequel, sort of.....

Here's another, smaller six-board chest. No WIP photos I'm afraid but the method is the just the same as my first one. This one's made from tulip like the first, and to maintain my sanity I used some simple cheap butt hinges.

I also made some little trays / tills to sit in the top.

IMG_2971.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2973.JPG

(Please excuse the dusty fingerprints)

While I like the form of a six-board chest, I'm not 100% convinced with the argument that these are quicker and easier to make than, say, a dovetailed box. The bulk of the work in either case is stock prep, and the boarded chest introduces its own peculiarities like cross-grain working.

Attachments

• IMG_2971.JPG
    IMG_2971.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2972.JPG
    IMG_2972.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2974.JPG
    IMG_2974.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2973.JPG
    IMG_2973.JPG