Sip 01488 bearings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenthumb

Reaction score
Hi folks, new to the forum, glad to be here :D

I have a sip 01488 lathe and the bearing are worn and have far too much movement,
The sip website says discontinued, any idea where i can get a replacement, as no budget for new lathe atm

Thanks in advance

The bearings should have a Code marked on them which tells any supplier what is required.

May be difficult to find a bearing supplier open but you should be able to get them on line.

Not sure how many bearings there are, probably 2, but they are some times different sizes so check them all.

Richard

Thanks richard, thats good to know, i will collect the lathe from storage, and have a look, can i assume most bearimg are similar principal in removing? I can only find videos on cast iron body lathes, hoping its not gonna be too bad to extract, i have many tools at mh disposal

Removing bearings is easy peasy. Youre throwing them away, so whatever works for you, from dedicated bearing pullers to a disc cutter or hammer and cold chisel, as long as you dont break the housing or shaft.
:shock: :shock: :lol:

All standard roller bearings are sold on measurements, outside, inside and thickness in mm. But you can get shielded (rubber washer over the ball race to protect from dust) or unsheilded.
Putting the new ones on can be very tricky and requires care depending what type of bearing it is.

Back