Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

 Reply
By baron
#455025
Hi guys looking to buy a new table saw and searching for reviews and stumbled onto your site, all I can say is, theres going to be some reading over the next few days, and also must fight temptation and not buy anything else :D ...So hello everyone

Firstly, I own my own custom car interior business, and fabricate boot build, door panels, dashboards and retrim interiors as one offs. I've been making do with a cheapo SIP saw I bought years ago for £150 and to be honest for all it was its served me real well and feel its a time for an upgrade.

The machine I was origanly set out to buy was a dewalt DW744xps, as it rips 24" which is more than wide enough for what i'm going to be using it for and I'm only ever cutting 18-25mm mdf. The mean reason for looking at this item was all my power tools are dewalt and I've had no complaints, and with the rolling stand it made it extremely portable and easy to maneuver, not that I need to move it much and the workshop is big enough, so space isn't an issue.

Now the dealema starts, I went to buy the above saw and the shop also have a SIP 01332 saw as ex-display, still brand new and unused with full warrany for £100 less than the dewalt, and its such a good looking robust saw and should last me many years, far better build quality than the dewalt, and from reading on here it seems to be a good choice. The only thing that put me off is i'm in the workshop on my own most times and if I had to move it theres no chance, but I seen the post on here where someone built there own wheels for it and now its got me thinking :roll:

Considering all i'm ever going to be cutting is 18-25mm mdf is the SIP overkill or good relaible saw, or would I be better of with the compactness of the Dewalt.
By wizer
#455031
WOW, I can't beleive how expensive that DeWalt tablesaw is!!! Compare to the 01332, the DeWalt is like a Fisher Price toy! Whatever you dom don't buy that DeWalt saw. The 01332 is a lovely well regarded saw, but it does sound overkill for your needs. Do you have any interest in doing other stuff with the table saw? Will you ever make furniture or cabinets?
By wizer
#455032
The Bosch GTS10 always gets really good reviews and is significantly cheaper than the DeWalt. It's currently on offer at Axminster with a free impact drill:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Bosc ... -32024.htm

If you wanted to spend a bit more then Bosch do a really good stand for it:

http://www.raygrahams.com/catalog/image ... GTA60W.jpg

If you're never going to branch out to bigger projects, then I think this saw will be ideal for you.
Last edited by wizer on 02 Feb 2010, 00:35, edited 2 times in total.
By baron
#455033
To be honest I don't think i will, but building things and playing with wood and fibreglass is a real hobby of mine, and if i didn't get paid to do it, i'd do it anyway.

The guy said about the bosch and how it and the dewalt both use the same rack and pinion design for the fence and is a precision saw and fence always remains true from front to back and dewalt was about £100 more than bosch and matched all my other tools and made it any easy choice.

But the SIP just complicates things as I know deep down its probably the better saw you can tell by the build quality, just a little over kill, but its cheaper and should last even longer and able to do far more than I'll ever through at it
By wizer
#455035
The Bosch always comes out on top when being reviewed. If you do go for that type of saw, I highly reccomend you go for the Bosch.

The SIP 01332 is well regarded here amongst it's users and for all intents and purposes, it's a proper tablesaw. But is significantly bigger than the Bosch or DeWalt and can't be stored away easily. It's designed to be a permanent fixture. You can buy mobile bases or have a local welder make you one up. If you go for the SIP. Do some research on how to set it up to get it running dead accurate. Don't trust the manual.

Let us know what you get and then show us the pics ;)
By baron
#455037
Image

The Dewalt comes with this stand for £650, and the SIP is £550, both are local to me and come with free delivery, and the £100 saving on the SIP could pay for a nice wheels setup like Dustydave's

Image

I'm not stuck for space, so portablity not really an issue, but would be nice to be able to move it if need be, hence the wheels
User avatar
By RogerS
#455066
Chalk and cheese. I'd go for that SIP...look at the size of the tables....nice supporting area for your workpieces.

But if you are mainly cutting sheet material then consider alternatives such as a Festool TS55 with guide rail and the MDF laid down on a sheet of Kingspan on the floor. Much easier to handle/cut large sheets that way.
By wizer
#455101
I agree that a CS with rail system is great for knocking down sheets to manageable pieces. But getting the sort of precision you get with a well tuned TS, is a complete faff with a CS.

So get both 8) :D
By baron
#455136
Allready use a circular with a trend quick release guide, they are long enough to clamp onto a full sheet and have a second one so saw sits perfectly inbetween the two, works well, but seems like effort compared to setting it on the table saw :P

John that wheel setup seems a good job for not much money, does it just come as universal then build it up using the relevant slots to make up the desired size? Are the wheels heavy duty enough?

Was originaly just thinking of gettin box section and bolt onto the saw feet like dustydaves and then bolt casters to the underside of the box section.
By wizer
#455169
baron wrote:John that wheel setup seems a good job for not much money, does it just come as universal then build it up using the relevant slots to make up the desired size? Are the wheels heavy duty enough?


In my opinion those wheeled bases are only just about good enough for heavy machinery. You also need a nice flat floor without many bumps or dips. I have a rough concrete floor and those bases don't work well on it. The parts are quite cheap too. If you have the inclination and ability to make your own, then do it. You will be pleased you did.
User avatar
By Mike.C
#455170
baron wrote:Allready use a circular with a trend quick release guide, they are long enough to clamp onto a full sheet and have a second one so saw sits perfectly inbetween the two, works well, but seems like effort compared to setting it on the table saw :P

John that wheel setup seems a good job for not much money, does it just come as universal then build it up using the relevant slots to make up the desired size? Are the wheels heavy duty enough?

Was originaly just thinking of gettin box section and bolt onto the saw feet like dustydaves and then bolt casters to the underside of the box section.



Hi Baron welcome to the forum.

If you go for the SIP I would recommend that you buy the wheel kit made for the saw, because unlike most other kits when you have finished moving it around, with a few turns of the allen key the saw is sitting back on the floor again. Whereas with some other after market kits the machine can move around if you put to much pressure on it.

Good luck

Mike
By baron
#455264
Well just back from seeing the SIP one again and so nearly bought it, but the riving knife was really out of align with the blade and the mitre slot was unbelievablely stiff, so thought i'll check back here first, is there any adjustment riving knife and blade? also how do you tweek the blade and fence to be square, just incase theres been any post in the past? tried searching

Also went and seen the Bosch GTS10, and have to saw was very let down, maybe it was the way the display one was set up wrong, but the fence is so sticky and extension table was so tight to move out, really put me off it, and make the dewalt really stand out in this class and worth the extra few pounds.

Mike do you have the wheel kit on yours, or have you seen it in action, as the only info I can find on it is a bit vague, and from the pics didn't seem to look very good, but hard to tell, thats why I thought to build one in the pic above.
User avatar
By Mike.C
#455275
baron wrote:Well just back from seeing the SIP one again and so nearly bought it, but the riving knife was really out of align with the blade and the mitre slot was unbelievablely stiff, so thought i'll check back here first, is there any adjustment riving knife and blade? also how do you tweek the blade and fence to be square, just incase theres been any post in the past? tried searching

Also went and seen the Bosch GTS10, and have to saw was very let down, maybe it was the way the display one was set up wrong, but the fence is so sticky and extension table was so tight to move out, really put me off it, and make the dewalt really stand out in this class and worth the extra few pounds.

Mike do you have the wheel kit on yours, or have you seen it in action, as the only info I can find on it is a bit vague, and from the pics didn't seem to look very good, but hard to tell, thats why I thought to build one in the pic above.


Yes I have it on my 12" SIP. I will try and find a decent picture for you.

Cheers

Mike
By Digit
#455292
Baron. The SIP is a good saw, but not from the box! They are slung together by someone in Chiwan and need setting up. The riving knife is adjustable in all planes, I found that the bar of the mitre fence on mine was bent and had to sort it.
Don't be put off by this, NO Chiwanese stuff is put together properly IME. Buy it! Sort it! and use it!
There is a further discussion on this elsewhere in the forum which will give you more info.

Roy.