Silverline Router Bits - Ok , or waste of time?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a router bit kinda urgently, and the only thing I can find in the size I need is from Silverline which I'm able to get locally, Or... wait 3-4days for delivery and order trend from ebay.

I need to cut out about 20metres of 12mm groove , I know silverline brand is total junk,but would it be able to cope with that? Has anyone tried their router cutters?

I'm sure it will do the job just fine, but having used a few silverline things, I know how utterly poor the quality can be, which can be a compromise depeninding on the task at hand. For things running at 20k RPM? ... I think I'd feel more comfortable picking up another brand.

Don't you have a screw fix within driving distance? would the trend kit not do it?

From personal experience I cant even bring myself to type the "S..." word. If it works once, its unlikely to cut the second time.

Theres a reason they are so cheap.

I had a small bit of flush trimming to do. It was on really horrible osb board. I didn't want to risk my trend cutter, so bought a silverline one for £3. I was pleasantly surprised. Not only did it leave a decent finish, it also seemed to hold a decent edge for the entire job.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have used the odd silverline cutter and they are ok. Probably no use for a pro but will get your job done.

What is the material? Is it worth buying a couple, then returning one if necessary?

phil.p":w2jgtkod said:
https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Router_Cutters_1.html - if you do decide to wait for something better - they're as good as Trend if not better, and usually cheaper. First class mail order.

Another vote for Wealdens - I ordered a bit one sunday night - it was in my hand midday Tuesday. Night and Day difference in quality from silverline.

MrDavidRoberts":nvw7eg93 said:
I need a router bit kinda urgently, and the only thing I can find in the size I need is from Silverline which I'm able to get locally, Or... wait 3-4days for delivery and order trend from ebay.

I need to cut out about 20metres of 12mm groove , I know silverline brand is total junk,but would it be able to cope with that? Has anyone tried their router cutters?
I bought one of the packs with a variety of bits in it. Most of them are fairly ropey, particularly the long 6mm bit where the carbide edge just detached.

I actually found that the blue Draper premium bits to have the best value. They seem much better machined and have no issues with the TCT edge crumbling.

I have a couple of Trend bits, but they are more expensive.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

In my opinion for what it is worth, Wealden make the best and their delivery and service is superb. Trend are ok no real issues one way or the other. I have used Silverline bits in times of desperation as they are available over the counter at Toolstation on Sundays! On those occasions they have always got the job done. They look to me to be insubstantial in build structure, the carbide parts looking quite fine and I have to admit to feeling concerned about them wizzing round at 20 - 30k. That said on the few occasions that I have used them the finish wasn’t too bad and they did the job. Last time I ordered a Wealden bit on line and nipped out to Toolstaion for the Silverline version. It was a Sunday, the job was completed, and I had the Wealden bit on Tuesday.

IMO for what its worth you already have made up your mind, as you have on all your other posts any advice given here you will ignore or argue with and do whatever you want, don't you ever get tiered of being a TROLL.

Mike

MikeJhn":3mdeqlzt said:
IMO for what its worth you already have made up your mind, as you have on all your other posts any advice given here you will ignore or argue with and do whatever you want, don't you ever get tiered of being a TROLL.

Mike

Sir, you are a complete imbecile and an actual TROLL yourself, Don't feed them I know...But I can't resist.
You are very welcome to suggest other stuff,however I DID NOT ASKED FOR THEM, can you actually show me where did I asked for them? So don't get angry if I'm not even considering stuff I didn't asked about...
I asked specially about silverline bits, some other people started suggesting completely different stuff..
Already got the silverline stuff and did the job that needed to be done, it was very slow cutting, but did the job.

This reminds me of how my parents use to argue. This was my upbringing. Now they're apart it's easier deal with- part of mothers day present
ed0aa4b0c95556ca5cc52e535281f937.jpg

Life's too short, time is precious

Silverline bits may successfully cut a piece of wood, but they will soon be a cause of frustration, I echo the comments about Wealden, usually next day delivery, good quality and good value.
Paddy

ColeyS1":3saojhq2 said:
This reminds me of how my parents use to argue. This was my upbringing. Now they're apart it's easier deal with- part of mothers day present
ed0aa4b0c95556ca5cc52e535281f937.jpg

Life's too short, time is precious

Hi Coley, I was brought up to the same sound track. My folks are still together and whilst they still bicker age has mellowed them both.

MikeJhn":5cjko6ii said:

Mike

I thought you were being a bit unfair there until I looked at the other threads, oh my word, it's the same pattern everytime!

He's either a troll or deliciously mad, either way I rather like him! :lol:

phil.p":2g502hyn said:
https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Router_Cutters_1.html - if you do decide to wait for something better - they're as good as Trend if not better, and usually cheaper. First class mail order.
I will second Wealdon router bits, maybe not as an extensive range as Trend but quality is extremely good, fast delivery and competative price.
Roy

Latest posts

Back