Shuv Ha'penny

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
A nice, very satisfying project that I could just potter on after a nightmare kitchen build.

Tried and tested much to the delight of the customer!

BS8I2587.JPG

BS8I2589.JPG

BS8I2588.JPG

Attachments

• BS8I2588.JPG
    BS8I2588.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 923
  • BS8I2589.JPG
    BS8I2589.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 923
  • BS8I2587.JPG
    BS8I2587.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 923
That's pretty!
I'm guessing cherry for the main board, but what are the black bits?
And are the lines just saw cuts or is there some stringing in there?
Is it a long routed groove for the coin drawer?

AndyT":2lw74l69 said:
That's pretty!
I'm guessing cherry for the main board, but what are the black bits?
And are the lines just saw cuts or is there some stringing in there?
Is it a long routed groove for the coin drawer?

It is a solid lump of cherry that I had left over joined to a couple of 50mm cherry lumps on the sides. The chalk holder on the top and the
piece at the end are two bits of American Black Walnut.

The black bits are slices of slate for chalking the scores, cut from a slate table mat.

The lines are V-grooves made very, very, very carefully with the tip of a 45 degree router bit. Then I infilled the grooves with soft graphite pencil. The whole thing was then coated with sanding sealer, 3 coats, then waxed.

The coin drawer slot is a long routed groove. Hand tools and I don't mix :?

We had one 50 years ago. Thinking about making one myself.
Next time you make one cut the marking lines into grooves and put brass strips in. Then any dispute about on or over the line was solved by carefully lifting the brass strip from one side to see if the half penny moved.
Do you have original dimensions for the board?

sunnybob":y9a4m01x said:
We had one 50 years ago. Thinking about making one myself.
Next time you make one cut the marking lines into grooves and put brass strips in. Then any dispute about on or over the line was solved by carefully lifting the brass strip from one side to see if the half penny moved.
Do you have original dimensions for the board?

It's 530mm x 357mm.

Base line starts at 102mm and each gap is 33mm, 9 gaps in total.

I looked at the brass strip idea. The issue was going to be any potential shrinkage in the wood resulting in the brass strips
becoming proud of the surface. I wasn't in the mood for that at the time :wink:

thats great thanks. The brass can afford to be a bit lower than the wood to allow for shrinkage.
I cant remember what ours was made of, it was quite dark and very hard. i am ashamed to admit that during the early 60's my brother and I turned it over and used the back as a dart board.

I last saw it around 1970. I will have to ask my sister what happened to it. She kept many things that the rest of us thought were worthless.

The boards in theDerby area had an additional feature, a small semicircular area at the top on top of the top line. This was the most difficult scoring area and was known as "Annie's Room"

Geoff....
"The coin drawer slot is a long routed groove. Hand tools and I don't mix :?"

Finally some one whos on the same page as I am =D> =D> #-o

I have an old board and the marker lines were slots ,the same width as a penny thickness, and any discrepancy was tested by sliding a penny along the slot to see if the piece in play moved .
That is a beautiful board, must dig mine out!

100 for a pound..now theres inflation for you.

There used to be 480 half pennies to a pound when I young.

Back