Shelf drilling jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a reasonably thick piece of mdf. 18 or 25mm. Use a lip and spur bit to drill the carcases.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks, but I do want a ready made jig as unfortunately I do not have access to my pillar drill, by the time I have set up and drilled a bit of 18 or 25mm mdf manually I would have finished the two sides of the carcass I wont to drill. #-o

Mike

Not sure but looks like you might be better with the one lower down the page. Looks like the KMA3200 you linked to might do 1/4 inch holes but the one lower down KMA3220 does 5mm holes which is more the norm here in the UK.

Doug

Well spotted that man, indeed the KMA3220 is the one I want.

Thanks
Mike

Ive had a Kreg shelf pin jig for a few years now. Simple to use and pretty accurate.
The 5mm version is exactly the same as the 1/4" version but Kreg just milled down the end of the drill bit to 5mm, so you are stuck using their drills , you cant use any 5mm bit.

chippy1970":2vmofg9l said:
Ive had a Kreg shelf pin jig for a few years now. Simple to use and pretty accurate.
The 5mm version is exactly the same as the 1/4" version but Kreg just milled down the end of the drill bit to 5mm, so you are stuck using their drills , you cant use any 5mm bit.

Well that's a bit... naff.

I was following this thread as i had one f these in my amazon basket. Sounds like i Need to find another make.

Brandlin":1y7gy6sd said:
chippy1970":1y7gy6sd said:

Well that's a bit... naff.

I was following this thread as i had one f these in my amazon basket. Sounds like i Need to find another make.
It still works you just have to buy their drill bits. As I say I've had it years and have probably drilled thousands of holes and I've not even used the spare drill bit I bought.

Often think about getting the festool lr32 setup but that's loads of money and the little Kreg jig just works for me.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Thanks chaps worth knowing that the 5mm version is just a 1/4" version with a milled down drill bit, sounds a bit of a bodge to me, will look at other solutions.

Mike

I thought it was a bit of a bodge, too, at first, but I took a closer look:

The template stays the same, with 1/4" holes. The drill stop does too. To switch from 5mm to 1/4" you only need change the actual drill bit. Drill bits around ten quid (plus postage, etc. prob.).

So you get the same spacing for the two sizes, which may not be a good thing, but you can easily swap over.

I don't need one at the moment, but I'll give it consideration next time. Still not completely decided, but the approach is more sensible than I first thought.

E.

I have zero interest in the imperial set up - i don't even own an imperial drill bit, so the interchangeability is of no interest. No biggie. I'll just look elsewhere. Thanks for all the info though.

Just thought I'd post a few pictures of an mdf alternative.
Perhaps it'd be suitable for someone with a limited budget or if only a few holes were needed.

8763cd6f652941463dc932fab9f42215.jpg

e4b0f903baa526b238abb1751135ebf2.jpg

If I'm drilling the stud holes I usually do it after the carcass is put together. The jig can be pushed tight to the back then. Most important thing is to always keep the jig the same way up so the holes are all the same level. Takes a few minutes to make a new one from some mdf off cuts.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I do like the sprung drill bit idea on that version, so I pushed the button, will report back what I find.

Mike

Back