She wants to stick a wine bottle where?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laminate up the piece and have square holes, into which you fit blocks with a turned centre hole. Contrasting wood, perhaps a rim would make it interesting and different.

Woodmonkey":2r0mi0hu said:
Flip it over and drill from the other side....
Yeh I did mention that but you're still going to have a fair amount of wood to remove for the length of a wine bottle aren't you? I suppose if you have the pillar drill etc it's not such a killer. I was thinking from my little shed perspective I guess.

Wuffles":9r2dkhws said:
Looking at a 'Merkan lumber site, someone recommended one of these to somebody who asked a similar question. Part of me wants to get one and try it out.

414%2BP6bkkgL.jpg

Wrong in so many ways... but you just can't look away ether.

:)

Two possible answers.

For round holes, a small Tunnel Boring Machine.

Alternatively, forget round holes and just make a rack with square holes. You'll already have the tools and skills to do that. If the client/missus/blithering silly person doesn't like it, take up Deema's suggestion an stick a piece of 6mm ply with round holes cut in it on the front. You could do round holes in ply with a jigsaw/keyhole saw and clean up with a rasp, or rip it down it's length and bandsaw half-circles, cleanup as before.

Come to think of it, you could get fancy with a coopered lining to each hole. Probably quicker and easier than cutting them from the solid with anything less than an industrial radial arm drill or a water-jet cutting machine.

Alternatively, just drink the stuff and you won't need a rack.

you could alter the design to make the holes off center so that the circumference broaches the outside edge of the wood, this would allow you to cut the holes with a bandsaw and allow you to read the labels without pulling the bottle out.... (but I still think that mutant Chernobyl woodworm are the way forward.....

Could you not just rough out the holes with a std flat bit or auger bit then sand to a fine internal finish using one of those flappy sanding wheels on a drill press or one of those expanding drum sander thingies of the right diameter might be better as it would guide itself.

I'll let you know how this 'Merkan drill bit goes, I think it's the way forward. Or the end of days. If nothing else, it's a good real world review of a festool pdc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some interesting reviews of it on Amazon (US). It seems polarized - some love it others hate it. There is a theme though - the spade bit isn't good for piloting as it wanders too easily. one reviewer swapped it for a normal twist drill with better results.

It looks too much fun though!

Eric The Viking":1n8f4i5x said:
the spade bit isn't good for piloting as it wanders too easily. one reviewer swapped it for a normal twist drill with better results.

That seems a bit of a no brainer really, I sort of suspected an April fool's mock up when I first saw the piccy.

No good, the stock may be too thick to fit under a pillar drill.

Ha ha. The bit should be here next week sometime, the Milwaukee one, will see how I get on.

Did it work Wuffles?

One thing, sorry if it's teaching Granny to suck eggs and all that, but over here anyway, wine bottles are NOT a standard size - I've just checked some of our stock (in the nuclear fallout shelter you know - really) and of the first 20 or so bottles I picked up, they varied from approx. 73 to 87 mm dia. Add in the champagne and other sparkling wines, which in my sample went up to 96 mm dia, and there's quite a wide variation in size. And sometimes in the length too.

We use very simple & cheap stackable blow-moulded EP racks and they are standardized at 84 mm dia, which as above, is sometimes a bit small (so I've made some simple wooden "chocks"). But as above, these racks are ugly things, & NOT for display.

I guess it depends how you're going to finish your rack, especially the edges of the holes, but assuming a similar variation in bottle dia over there in UK, I'd suggest that 90 mm MAY be a wee bit small?

HTH

AES

J.P.Chenet really throws a spanner in the works. I havent yet found a rack that they fit safely.

It'll only be reds, my guestimations (of the few bottles knocking about here) made them fit within the 92mm parameters :) - they were out of stock for the bit, so will hopefully know later this week or early next. I'll definitely update this thread though.

It'll do it. If you buy one, don't forget the arbour, unless like me you have something that fits.

2fdb48cefcd7ed291c3e9e240f220569.jpg

That's some seasoned oak being beaten up by the PDC there, not very clear from the photo.

Spot of refinement required, but other than that, successful test cut.

fd6ab4485d1632d5582ace57ca15f31b.jpg

Back