She-oak candlestick

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimB

Established Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in an earlier post that I had been given some she-oak (casuarina). I'm still waiting to get it to a better bandsaw than mine but decided to turn a candlestick out of a piece I'd split off. It's heavy (won't float), hard and has quite a few flaws inside but other than that it finishes well. I didn't have a large enough piece to turn a matching base so that is somewhat out of character. Finished with a bit of linseed followed by shellac.

Attachments

• candlestick.jpg
    candlestick.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 723
Lovely piece Jim , looks to be well turned and I like the finish . Would have to look very hard at the base to find a difference I can't find one .
Thanks for showing .

Thanks for the nice comments. The base is the same wood but not quite in the style of the upright. Should have been a little wider, deeper and more elaborate. My wife is happy though. Oddly enough I went back to my old Marples carbon steel for the finishing. More sharpening needed but they seemed to cut better.

Back