Sharpening Veritas vs. other router planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silly_Billy

Established Member
Reaction score
Please could anyone advise me if Vertitas' router plane is the only one that can be sharpened in the conventional way?

I know Veritas has the two piece system, so that the blade can be separated and attached to an aluminum holder for sharpening. Do any other router planes have anything similar (but cheaper than Veritas)?

What do you mean by the conventional way?

I can’t speak to the Veritas specifically but I can say that sharpening a 071 router plane iron is much the same as sharpening anything else, albeit a bit more awkward. Are all of Veritas’ router irons two piece? I believe that other router plane irons are one single unit (the stem and head are one piece) - my Record 071 irons are one piece at least. Although I have an old pointed iron that is two piece...

El Barto":1qn6jr0w said:
What do you mean by the conventional way?

I can’t speak to the Veritas specifically but I can say that sharpening a 071 router plane iron is much the same as sharpening anything else, albeit a bit more awkward. Are all of Veritas’ router irons two piece? I believe that other router plane irons are one single unit (the stem and head are one piece) - my Record 071 irons are one piece at least. Although I have an old pointed iron that is two piece...

I assume conventional in that you can take the blade off and sharpen like a standard plane blade...

Silly_Billy":3tesw9s7 said:
Please could anyone advise me if Vertitas' router plane is the only one that can be sharpened in the conventional way?

I know Veritas has the two piece system, so that the blade can be separated and attached to an aluminum holder for sharpening. Do any other router planes have anything similar?

I posted a link to a video by Viv Tesolin in another thread. Here is it again:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2017/12/15/sharpening-router-plane-vic-tesolin

There is a detailed description of the process on my website:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTe ... lades.html

SharpeningRouterPlaneBlades_html_2bbccaf9.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

El Barto":1za2t7ou said:
Are all of Veritas’ router irons two piece?

Only the larger ones, where there's room for a screw in the "heel" of the iron. The narrower ones are one-piece just like everybody else's.

El Barto":33aavkk3 said:
I believe that other router plane irons are one single unit (the stem and head are one piece) - my Record 071 irons are one piece at least. Although I have an old pointed iron that is two piece...

I believe that was the standard with 071s; mine also came with a one-piece "standard" blade and a two-piece pointed one. I can only guess that the pointed one was easier to manufacture in two pieces. If it had anything to do with sharpening, why not make them all in two pieces?

Incidentally, I managed to snap my two-piece blade across the screwhole when I drove it into a knot.

Latest posts

Back