Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By marcros
I have just bought some aged Elliot Lucas pincers from eBay. Should pincers have sharpened jaws?
By AndyT
No. You'll cut the head of the nail off, leaving a sharp remnant too small to get hold of.
Superficially similar end-cutting nippers should. Which have you got?
By marcros
Screenshot_20200130-173311__01.jpg

No idea, I thought that they were pincers but didn't know that end nippers existed.

I just want them for hoiking out a few nails from some oak and they were fractionally more expensive than rubbish from Toolstation.

The smaller pair are tighter than the larger paid. May sell one or both pairs of them on when done with, or keep them. It is a tool I haven't needed in 5 years before now.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200130-173311.jpg
By AndyT
Those are definitely pincers - they have the distinctive ball and claw. (We could digress onto a discussion about what the ball is for and why some pincers have a cone instead...)

End cutting pliers just have plain ends.
By marcros
Thanks Andy, so no sharpening needed?

Feel free to digress, I can't add anything but am interested in the topic.
By MikeG.
marcros wrote:....so no sharpening needed?.....

Only if the jaws don't meet properly, or are badly nicked. They have to be "sharp" enough to squeeze under a nail head fairly tight to the wood surface, but not so sharp as to risk cutting the head off. I haven't touched mine with a file etc in 40 years. Keep one, you'll be amazed how often they're useful. I was pulling staples out of oak today with mine, for instance, where the wood yard has stapled on labels.
By Jacob
The claw thing is a nail puller but I've idea about the ball.
By powertools
Having recently started clearing out surplus tools from my workshop I found that I had 7 pairs of pincers and I can't remember the last time I used any of them.
By Bm101
Blackswanwood wrote:At the risk of digressing why do some have a ball and others a cone?

Funny you ask that...

thewlis-pincers-and-a-bit-of-thewlis-history-t104398.html?hilit=Ball%20cone%20pincer%20handles

I have my Dad's ones. Given not borrowed! Wouldn't be without them.
The shape allows you to roll out pins/bright nails etc with no damage from leverage.
As above I don't think they are meant as snips or to be sharp. Flat faced and just thick enough to get under a close set head. Inevitably a few get bent being so thin. The wide jaw allows you to roll a pin out so you get mechanical advantage but also pulls the pin out vertically so less damage to any grain.
Clever bit of kit really.
By marcros
quoting "powertools"

ah, we could have done a deal and left you with only 6!

I have just pulled a few nails out with mine. I would like to use more reclaimed timbers, so like mike suggested they may come in handy for a few upcoming tasks.
By Bm101
powertools wrote:Having recently started clearing out surplus tools from my workshop I found that I had 7 pairs of pincers and I can't remember the last time I used any of them.

I suppose if you are a modern professional or general power tool user ( :wink: )like a joiner with a nail gun and foaming glue they are no use 99.999 percent of the time.
I recently pinned and glued a few architraves on my house. I can't justify a nail gun or air system so they all get pinned. Then I tap the heads in with a punch, fill and decorate. No doubt a claw hammer would do the job on the wonky pin but using them you can understand why they would be so useful as a dedicated tool a generation or so back to someone pinning a lot of carpentry or furniture makers etc. I still find them really useful but I totally see your point.
By Phil Pascoe
My b.i.l. an (English) ex joiner in NZ told me they usually glue their architrave, pinning it temporarily. I've done this and saves a bit of filling and any gaps opening up, but you'd not move it for any reason.
By Jacob
powertools wrote:Having recently started clearing out surplus tools from my workshop I found that I had 7 pairs of pincers and I can't remember the last time I used any of them.
Probably because you don't use nails. You are missing a useful trick!
Also presumably you don't repair anything - a lot of old stuff uses nails, even high quality.
I don't use hairpins.