Sharpening stone advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
I have my L-N order arriving on Monday. (Very excited!)
These will be my first quality blades and I'm a bit apprehensive about sharpening them.
I currently use the Tormek for all my sharpening, i.e. just cheap chisels and planes, planer knives. I can get a lovely razor edge on them, but I have a feeling I will need greater control to get the best out of my L-N tools.
So.... will I get best results by sharpening on the Tormek alone, or do I need to then make some final swipes on a sharpening stone?
If so, what sharpening stone(s) would you recommend? (I know next to nothing about them).
Would I be better off avoiding the Tormek altogether for these fine tools?

Many thanks

Aragorn,

I don't have a Tormek or any L-N. :(

I do sharpen my plane and chisels by hand. I have a Norton indian stone which is years old but still works quite well for the main bevels. I now have Ceramic Bench Stones bought from Alf during the last clear out, Axminster have them here. I have the medium and fine they do leave a mirror like finish. In fact I was so impressed I bought the Ceramic Slip Stone Combination and find it useful for honing all sorts of cutters. :D

Hi Aragorn
Like DaveL I dont own any really expensive and very fine kit, but I find that all i need for sharpening to a very fine edge is my old Oil stone for roughing and I now own, 600 Grit and 1000 grit waterstones I find then easy to look after and easy to use

Bean

Aragorn... you'll love the L-N, I promise you....

As for sharpening, I took DC's advise and bought some Ice Bear waterstones from Axminster. Used in conjunction with my Veritas honing guide, sharpening is a breeze.

Aragorn,

LN are no different in this regard, from any other plane - other than the irons need less work to start with. The usual rules apply, flatten the back, grind a bevel if need be (no need on a new LN iron) then sharpen as you wish.

More than enough has been written about sharpening without me adding more beyond noting that I use what is essentially the method promoted by DC and always use a fine stone for finishing the job, rather than my Tormek - because I get a better edge that way. I occasionally hone the blade with a suitable compound on a bit of maple but generally don't bother, except as a touch up method between sharpenings on the stone. Unless you badly nick an iron, you won't need to bring it to the Tormek for ages as a fine touch up of the micro or secondary bevel is all that is needed and with the A" steel, those bevels last for ages before getting large enough to need a regrind.

Hi
Thanks for your replies.
Who is DC? And where will I find his sharpening advice?

Thanks

Aragorn,

DC= David Charlesworth. April's FWW (Fine Woodworking :p ) has a nicely succinct article on his method, or one/both? of his books must cover it - someone here's bound to know which. :roll: Or you could get the new video from him direct. Don't get hung up on which type of honing medium to use; waterstones, diamonds, ceramics, scary sharp or oilstones are all just abrasives in different forms. Get a coarse-ish one and a fine one and enjoy the tool (or tools?). :D

Incidentally, perhaps this is heresy, but I thought the Tormek was a grinder, and as such you would always need to use benchstones after it - unless you're sharpening an axe or something. I s'pose that's why I've always considered it a bit over-priced for what it does. :? Okay, okay, you needn't yell at me all you happy Tormekians, or try to convince me how wrong I am. I'll stick with my hand-cranked grinder ta muchly. :p

Cheers, Alf

I have to say if your just new to sharpening then I can recomend DC's new video.....its very clear and he doesn't miss anything out! Well worth the £19 and you'll never need to look at another dull blade again!

SimonA

DC's First book covers sharpening and tweaking tools, though I doubt if your new LN's will need tweaking 8)

I bought mine from Amazon its:

David Charlesworth's Furniture Making Techniques Volume one
ISBN 1 86108 125 1

Guild of Master Craftsmen Publications

Happy Sharpening :D :D

Bean

Aragorn

I have, cough, one or two LNs and sharpen them with a combination water stone bought from Dieter Schmids site. 1000 grit on one side and 6000 grit on the other. Considered an 8000 grit but they are very expensive

http://www.fine-tools.com/scharf.htm

Enjoy the new plane, you'll love it!!

Cheers

Tony

Like Tony, I use a 1000/6000 waterstone (King brand from Axminster). The 6000 leaves a mirror finish. But I always strop afterwards with honing compound on a piece of leather. It makes all the difference.
Regards,
Philly

Back