shaker doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcarver

Established Member
Reaction score
Making shaker doors.
Just wondered if this would work, ie stay stable and not warp.
12mm mdf panal with 12mm plant on`s glued to the front only?
Many thanks

There's a few bits of missing information there. Firstly, is this solid wood stile and rail frame? Is the bit you want to plant on solid wood or MDF?

If the frame is solid, there is no way the MDF will distort it, even if it "wanted" to. I can't speak for what would happen if the frame was MDF.

MikeG.":18m75pth said:
There's a few bits of missing information there. Firstly, is this solid wood stile and rail frame? Is the bit you want to plant on solid wood or MDF?

If the frame is solid, there is no way the MDF will distort it, even if it "wanted" to. I can't speak for what would happen if the frame was MDF.

I think he's talking about just taking a flat sheet of MDF and glueing some MDF onto it to make it look like a frame and panel door. To fake a door like this, you'd want to use 12mm, with 6mm bits stuck on the front and back.

This is true SC. Except in woodwork there's always someone to say there's more than one 'proper' way to do most things. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers John (hammer)

woodcarver":3ckanb6d said:
Making shaker doors.
Just wondered if this would work, ie stay stable and not warp.
12mm mdf panal with 12mm plant on`s glued to the front only?
Many thanks

Yes it will, I did the same 20 years ago for 2 pairs of small doors on an airing cupboard even formed rebates by overlapping the boards, they are still there & never moved just make sure you finish the front & back the same.

Back