Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Steve Maskery
Jacob wrote:... we've all had things go wrong - if not one's whole life.

LOL! Where did that come from?
And I thought it was just me :)
By Jacob
Steve Maskery wrote:
Jacob wrote:... we've all had things go wrong - if not one's whole life.

LOL! Where did that come from?
And I thought it was just me :)
Not me personally Steve! I had someone else in mind 8-[
You still alive and well I hope?
By RogerS
Jacob wrote:
RogerS wrote:The good news or the bad news ?
Probably good news! It was doomed from the start. MDF, veneer, cross grain noseings, dominoes, etc all unsuitable - it would have started to come apart in no time, after a bit of traffic. Noseings break off or complete collapse under the weight of two blokes carrying a piano :shock:
That built in "transition marker" would treble the likelihood of it all coming apart - as you walk down stairs your weight as you leave a step is likely to be on one foot concentrated on the very edge itself. A 17st bloke carrying something heavy could wreck it !
...... And I have absolutely no idea how to fix it. .......
Scrap it. Start again with plan B.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it we've all had things go wrong - if not one's whole life :roll: .

We will have to differ on the design, Jacob, and I don't agree with you about your 'doom and gloom' statements re breakages etc
By MikeG.
This one has confused me from the start, so I haven't said anything......expecting just to be educated. I'm afraid you are just going to have to bin this attempt. Maybe the next iteration will be a simpler affair, with kerfed risers and segmented long-grained nosings in the usual way .
By RogerS
MikeG. wrote:This one has confused me from the start, so I haven't said anything......expecting just to be educated. I'm afraid you are just going to have to bin this attempt. Maybe the next iteration will be a simpler affair, with kerfed risers and segmented long-grained nosings in the usual way .

Nothing wrong with the riser, Mike
By MikeG.
Oh OK. So it's just the geometry of your lip/ nosing. I'd make up a segmented arch, with the grain running along (around) it, sit it on top of the riser and mark it up, off-set the line by your overhang, then get to work with a bandsaw and spokeshave. Once the outside was right I'd mark a parallel line for the inside curve with a gauge and follow the same process. But I know that's not the aesthetic you're after....
By RogerS
NickM wrote:I can only offer my sympathy - it's a real shame after all the effort you've put in.

Thanks Nick...much appreciated.
By toolsntat
Why can you not make the riser match the nosing?
Cheers Andy
By toolsntat
Can you not lift it out and bandsaw off the riser, reshape the step to suit then reapply the riser?
By RogerS
toolsntat wrote:Can you not lift it out and bandsaw off the riser, reshape the step to suit then reapply the riser?

LOL ! No, when I make steps they are built to stay. The bottom panel is screwed into the floor !
By Trainee neophyte
I've been keeping very quiet, for obvious reasons, but every time I see this step I think of it creaking. It just doesn't look very solid, and all those joints moving about to make a musical step. You can tell I grew up in an old, old house. In Japan they would do this on purpose to alert the household to an infiltration of ninjas, but I assume that isn't a problem in your case. Or is it?

Right from the beginning, I have wondered if wood was the right material for this step. I may get shot for that, but a nice lump of local stone could work, perhaps? We even know a man who could carve a rabbit into it for you. Well, I say rabbit...

(If this step is on the third floor, leading to the east tower, then I may be speaking out of turn, and wood will be the way to go, obviously).
By ColeyS1
Trainee neophyte wrote:I've been keeping very quiet

Me to. If I were to have commented it would have been to agree with some of Jacob's thoughts. For it to stand half a chance the glue bond would have had to be very good. That would have meant nice tight joints but you're still left with short grain on the sides. I feel bad for Roger because alot of work has gone into it. It's the mk1 version though and the mk2 will be bang on fantastic !
Out of curiosity is the riser an absolute true radius? If so do you know what the radius is to the front edge ?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
By RogerS
Trust me, TN...no movement whatsoever. I don't mind a nightingale floor. It's an old house, the old floors creak but my stuff doesn't. It's glued and screwed down too much. In any event, a creak on the floor late at night gives me chance to get the shotgun. :twisted:

Coley...I understand your concern but not valid in this case. The nosing overhangs the rise by only a few mm or so and there are many, many more mm sitting snugly on the top panel of the subframe. The nosing is glued to the ply of the transition strip with lots and lots of dominos. That whole sub-assembly will be screwed and glued down onto the top panel. It will be solid as a rock. Just the wrong shape :( But I have a plan.

Design is all. Not Jacob's clunky old-fashioned rustic style.