Selling my fathers woodworking machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofwoodworker

Reaction score
I came to your site hoping to sell some of my late fathers larger woodworking machines, e.g. table saw, band saw, planer thicknesser etc. but can see that I can't do that without being a positive member of the community - I understand that.
However, I'm not an ebayer (it looks a veritable minefield!) and I don't know what asking price to set for sites like gumtree, so what do you suggest I do?
I would love the kit to simply go to a woodworker but I'm morally obliged to get what money I can for his estate. If I fail to sell by the time the house sells are there any charities that would take them - it will break my heart to empty his workshop into a skip!
Feel free to move to a more appropriate section of the site as you see fit. Thank you.

Tell us what it is and we can give you an idea of the value. To be honest putting it on ebay via the phone app is very good and can get you good prices esp if you use a £1 listing.

Pictures will help. I'm looking for a good large bandsaw

It’s a difficult one to handle on the site as the For Sale section is a benefit for members so they don’t have to negotiate ebay etc. Sadly, this subject comes up every so often. Recently Lindas has gone through a similar problem and their thread is here. At least it will give you an idea of the issues and a few ideas of ways you can handle things.

lindas-workshop-clearance-help-required-t118187.html

Don’t be put off by any slightly spiky replies, most people are helpful and sympathetic here.

If you are in a rush I'd say get them on ebay.

You don't need to know what they are worth, start price nice and low*. 12 good pictures and they should all be sold in 10 days time.

Start Wed/Thursday and end 10 days later on the Sat/Sunday, last/ first Sunday of the month is better (payday for most folk). Edit Saturday might be better and then they collect on the Sunday.

*Starting at 99p can be dangeorus especially with big, collection only items. If you start the auction at £50, worst case scenario no bids = no sale, 1 bid = £50.

Good Luck

Entering a machine model number into an eBay search and clicking 'view SOLD" items will give you an indication of prices attained.

The simple and often painful truth is that any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it regardless of a valuation, so a low start price on an auction with a long sale date is the best way of achieving the best price, or you can take someones 'valuation' and hold on to the item ad infinitum till you get the imaginary figure.

If you are unsure what a machine or item is then by all means post a picture and we can try and help identify it, you can then use google or ebay to find a realistic asking price.

However, if the post deviates into a thinly disguised sales thread then it will be removed. Sorry, but them the rules.

Local mens sheds would be more than happy for any kit to be donated. https://menssheds.org.uk

Don't forget that regardless what anyone tells or what you read, your item is worth what someone will pay you at the time of sale. Everything else is irrelevant.
If there's a significant amount of money involved to save any future problems and bad feeling I would inform any beneficiaries or joint executors beforehand which way you're handling it.

Chrispy":2vyx2fc9 said:
If you use the infamous facebook you could try here for ideas. Or market place again in fb.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wwuktools/ Mod Edit:- link Fixed

This - or there is a Bristol FB marketplace section - I would however get ideas of prices from this site rather than ebay, because they will either be under or overpriced, you'd have to get a good sample of sales to average it out which will take time.

As you are in Bristol, there are also quite a few woodworkers on this forum around the area (myself being one) who also might be interested in seeing what you have for sale and will give you a fair price.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/bristol/

You'll have to join the group. but that's easy

I can sympathise as i have just finished clearing my Dads workshop. Difference is i have been in the boat trade for 40 years & have bought & sold a lot of machinery so know pretty well what stuff is worth.
It might sound funny but i avoid ebay like the plague, it attracts the lowest common demominator & every one wants to pay the least they can. Also a lot of time wasters. Top tips, List what you have & do a bit of research, google the machine & see what dealers have them up for sale for. Look them up on ebay as well, it will give you an idea of what to ask. If you want to shift them quick dont ask too much.
For high quality metal working machinery Tony Griffiths lathes.co.uk site is good to advertise on it isnt cheap but it gets a lot of hits. Homeworkshop.org is a great site for buying & selling Metal & wood machinery & its free.
Model engineer site has classified adds, Dont forget to look at wanted adverts, Surprising how many people put a wanted ad up. It is getting hard to shift stuff in todays economic climate so you might have to take an offer rather than have it sit there for ever. Good luck!

Keith 66":sbvfqeq3 said:
I can sympathise as i have just finished clearing my Dads workshop. Difference is i have been in the boat trade for 40 years & have bought & sold a lot of machinery so know pretty well what stuff is worth.
It might sound funny but i avoid ebay like the plague, it attracts the lowest common demominator & every one wants to pay the least they can. Also a lot of time wasters. Top tips, List what you have & do a bit of research, google the machine & see what dealers have them up for sale for. Look them up on ebay as well, it will give you an idea of what to ask. If you want to shift them quick dont ask too much.
For high quality metal working machinery Tony Griffiths lathes.co.uk site is good to advertise on it isnt cheap but it gets a lot of hits. Homeworkshop.org is a great site for buying & selling Metal & wood machinery & its free.
Model engineer site has classified adds, Dont forget to look at wanted adverts, Surprising how many people put a wanted ad up. It is getting hard to shift stuff in todays economic climate so you might have to take an offer rather than have it sit there for ever. Good luck!

And then circulate to the Secretaries of local woodturning clubs, say 30-50 miles radius.

Brian

I've recently bought some equipment from someone in a similar situation.
The executors approach was quite reasonable. They listed some lower value stuff on Facebook, then once you have a 'buyer' face to face, there are often deals to be done on all sorts of smaller tools and equipment.

For the larger stuff, they put it on Ebay for a realistic 'Buy it Now' price, with an auction option as well.

It surprised me how much some thing went for - I'd never even heard of a Ryobi chain morticer, but it seems they fetch a good price, and people came from way up north for the Startite Bandsaw!

Best of luck with the sale - I'm sure it will all go somehow.

Beanwood":bk8td3ll said:
It surprised me how much some thing went for - I'd never even heard of a Ryobi chain morticer, but it seems they fetch a good price

If you think the chain morticer fetches good money you should see how much the Ryobi hollow chisel morticer DM-20 rakes in, I've seen a few sell for over £600 and they weren't even that much new. The absolute best piece of gear for morticing out locks on doors, I really don't see why they don't make them anymore as there really isn't anything that comes close to competing on the market.

Latest posts

Back