Segmentation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJOriginals

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Intarsia is a good way to test you skills on cutting with a scroll saw but if you want some practice work before tackling the difficulties of intarsia then segmentation is a good alternative, it helps with the shaping and sanding of the parts once cut. I tried a few segmentations and i think they came out pretty well.
to add contrast i used spirit stains both items in the photos are made from lime at 12mm thick with the flowers even being cut inside the frame from one piece.

happy to give further instructions notes on doing it if anyones interested.

Martyn

Attachments

• DSCF2344.JPG
    DSCF2344.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 568
  • Timberwolf for horst.JPG
    Timberwolf for horst.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 568
They are both really good. They don’t look like segmentation at all with the stained wood.

I like to add colour to a few pieces I’ve done. I think it enhances them. I’ve tried a few different methods of colour,even used boot polish. I tend to stick to acrylic paint now though.

I do like the colouring in your pieces though. What exactly do you mean by spirit stains.
If it’s something I can get hold of easily I would give it a try.

Andy

" happy to give further instructions notes on doing it if anyones interested."
Yes please :)

Hi Andy

what i do is cut the pattern out shape it and sand it, then i colour the bits needed using Chestnut spirit stains.
you can see all the colours available at http://www.chestnutproducts.co.uk but there are other companies who make these type of wood stains.

if i need a paler colour its possible to get by mixing in spirit thinner with the stain to get a great deal of different shades see photo of another pic i did the blue on it is a very light mix of blue and thinners.
also if you need it lighter you can bleach the part i did this to create the dog plaque see other pics

i use the spirit stains and finish with a spray acrylic varnish after the product is reassembled usually on a 2mm ply back board cut at minus 2mm below the size of the item.

I hope this helps
Martyn

Attachments

• DSCF2351.JPG
    DSCF2351.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 536
  • DSCF2784.JPG
    DSCF2784.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 536
Hi pollys13

glad you like it, what ill do tomorrow is try and do a blow by blow account of making one and post it

Regards
Martyn

MJOriginals":sjdj9ims said:
Hi pollys13

glad you like it, what ill do tomorrow is try and do a blow by blow account of making one and post it

Regards
Martyn
Great cheers.

Please bear with me working on the procedure thing but it's taking more time than I thought
Martyn

Hi all

been working on a full set of sort of instructions on how to do these, its to long to post on the site and to be honest im still a few days away from getting it typed and the photos sorted but when they are ready it would seem best to email the file so if anyone would like them PM me your email and i will send them on sometime next week

Martyn

hi all

finished at last on the instructions PM me an email if you want to recieve a copy.

AES will email yours directly

Martyn

Attachments

• DSCF2781 (2).JPG
    DSCF2781 (2).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 358

Latest posts

Back