scrollsaw table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what your thought were on a scrollsaw table, I have seen scrollsaw s some sitting flat on the table and others at a slight angle .I suppose it's what you feel most comfortable with .What table do you use, any photo's would be nice along with your opinion and why

Alan

Alan, I really do think it's a matter of whatever suits you personally. Some stand, some sit, some have sloping "table tops", some flat.

Here's my own:

download/file.php?id=37118&mode=view

It's a simple steel typists table on castors. Thick ply top added, plus a heavy duty cable to the wall, with several sockets mounted on the table.

At one end is a small band saw, at the other is my Excalibur 21. I fiddled about for a long while to get something comfortable for me (I have a back problem) and apart from the castors (solid rubber "ball type") which cause some vibrations at certain speeds (but not enough to be troublesome, it's easy to change speed out of the vibration area, and in my shop that "saw table MUST be moveable). So I'm quite pleased.

For me a very important point is also to have good lighting over the "action area" plus, most important, a typists chair (NO arms) which swivels and is adjustable for height and for back angle.

It took me quite a bit of fiddling with various lash ups out of scraps until I settled on the present as shown.

BUT my back problem seems to be getting worse (I can't be in any position, sitting or standing, for longer than about 1 hour continuous) so I'm THINKING (just thinking mind!) of doing some more experimenting and going back to trying to insert perhaps about 30 mm raising blocks at the rear feet to angle the top of the saw towards me. I shan't do that until I set up a new sub-table on my Excali (about 5 or 6 mm MDF I think), and have yet to even start with it. But that's the plan - MAYBE! :D When I tried a raised rear end last time (about 3 years ago now) I didn't find it very good, but PERHAPS things have changed - with my back anyway!

In short I believe everyone's different and there are no "Rights" or "Wrongs". If you look at the net for various US Scroll Sawing videos you'll see lots of different ideas.

Again, I think everyone really is different, "health problems" or not, and I really only can suggest you fiddle around with various ideas until you find something that suits you.

HTH, the real answer is simply "whatever suits you mate". Put it on the floor and lie down in front of it??? (OK, perhaps not quite that) :D

Yes I think ill just have to make a small table and just go from there to see what suits me best thank's for getting back to me Alan

Mine is nothing special. I work in my garage but have limited room as my van has to go in it at night. I move mine out a couple of feet to use it.

Started off with this set up.
4B106756-876F-4C1D-A829-5E44AC3DD283.jpeg

Then when I got the Hegner scrollsaw I tried this but the saw was moving about too much.
15072782-BD29-45FF-ACBF-28C573A1364E.jpeg

So I built a little table to bolt the saw down. The lamp was no good on the little table due to vibration so I use a black and decker workbench at the side of the table for the lamp.
6CE88E33-CA43-4593-94ED-084DEC2121C1.jpeg

Thinking about it now though I tend to lean over the table to see above the blade so I can see where I am cutting better so I may be better off with the table tilted a little. Will have to try that and see if it’s better. I do tend to get a bit of back ache after a while at the saw so it may improve things if it’s tilted.
Andy

Attachments

• 4B106756-876F-4C1D-A829-5E44AC3DD283.jpeg
    4B106756-876F-4C1D-A829-5E44AC3DD283.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 693
  • 15072782-BD29-45FF-ACBF-28C573A1364E.jpeg
    15072782-BD29-45FF-ACBF-28C573A1364E.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 693
  • 6CE88E33-CA43-4593-94ED-084DEC2121C1.jpeg
    6CE88E33-CA43-4593-94ED-084DEC2121C1.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 693
Given your simple set up (no insult intended) why not just put a brick, or piece of timber under the rear end of your table to tilt it and see how it feels.

I know that it won't be dead stable and possibly suffer a bit of vibration at some speeds but it should be good enough to try out the arrangement before making something more permanent.

As has been said, we're all different and have different requirements, like AES I fiddled around with different heights and different angles till I got to the set up I have now (horizontal as it happens).

Regards

Phill

My saw, a Delta 40-560 just sits on the bench with a piece of 4 x 2 under the back just to lift it a little.

Attachments

• DSC00045.JPG
    DSC00045.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 663
Sooty gets his haircut then when the saw is not in use but who is going to Sweep up after the hair cut....do you get it. SWEEP.

Lol. Sooty and sweep.

quick up date on the table I ordered it arrived today and I am well please with it a nice strong robust table Alan

Back