Scrollsaw Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:shock: Blimey, Gill, you're a hard taskmaster! :wink:

Took the SIP out of its box this evening. A quick check and all looks okay, and it works. But the blade supplied in it must be about a #72 - I think my tree pruning saw has a finer blade! :lol: :lol: A small amount of vibration with it running at high speed, free-standing on the bench although it didn't try to go walkabout. Couple of quick-clamps and it was fine. I have cut a baseboard to bolt it to for ease of moving it about, and for clamping it to the bench wherever might be convenient at the time.

Thanks for posting the pic. of the Lancaster - I will certainly have a go at it in due course.

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":3t0ffa8l said:
:shock: Blimey, Gill, you're a hard taskmaster! :wink:

Oh dear :? . Perhaps you might be interested in a Hurricane pattern that's at a skill level much more akin to that of the Spitfire?

:)

(Click on image for full pattern, as usual.)

Gill

PS The lettering might look a bit daunting. In practice, it shouldn't be too difficult but the picture will hardly suffer if you choose to omit it.

Never in the field of scrollsaw woodwork have so many patterns been offered to so many by so few.

Andy (humming the Battle of Britain theme)

Here is the Wolf by Lin. Fun to cut out. I have a friend who loves Wolf pictures, so I will give it to her.
Thanks Lin

Bob

115615160.jpg

That's come out really well, Bob :) . I presume you can confirm it's a project that an inexperienced scroller could tackle?

I'm trying to work out what wood you used, and I'm hazarding Baltic Birch plywood - is that right? What thickness and what sort of blade did you use?

Gill

Gill, It is 1/8" baltic birch and I used a 2/0 flat blade. The little cutouts need to be done first and the big area around the left has to be cut carefully or you can break it. I don't know if I could have cut it when I first started scrolling. It might be a challange for the inexperienced scroller but I think it would be fun project if they don't get in a hurry.

Bob

Gill, I'll add what I can on the "Wolf".....I cut it around a year ago...no pics....sorry..I stack cut two of them from 1/8" redoak ply.....I used a 2R blade from Olsen on it......As I remember the hardest cuts were on the left side....One to plan your cuts and do the most intricate first. I don't rmember if I did it on this one but many patterns of this ptye......if I'm worried about possible breakage I will put cut pieces back in....using shipping tape....front and back to help with support for an ajoining cut.....another thing I have done in the past to help support a piece is to tape a playing card/business card over the hole......just a little hole for the blade itself to come thru....I always plan my cuts for tight areas....IF I'm cutting one that is really close to another cut.....I cut that one by cutting the ajacent line first before going on around the cut.....(I'm I making sense here?)...Less bounce possible on the cut then....meaning more support for it and less likely it will break..also if the cut looks like it's just to close to the other for you to feel comfortable with....back off the distance a bit.....don't cut it quite so close.....once the pattern is taken off.....noone but you will know that you change the pattern.....I do it all the time.......Help.....I don't think I'm explaining this very well..........Cutting the wolf from thicker stock will help.
Bob, You did great on the wolf.....
Lin

Thanks Lin (and Bob :) ) - very useful tips that will be of value to people cutting not only the wolf, but the Lancaster too.

Gill

Thanks Lin, for coming in and helping on your ideas on cutting it. My problem is, I know how to do it but not how to tell how to do it.

Bob

Since I just recently finished the "Work To Live" cutting....pic of completed project on "Completed Project" board......I thought I'd toss out the pattern for those that might have an interest in cutting this one. You will need to resize the pattern to suit yourself. I cut it at approx. 11" x 11" to fit the 1/2" piece of cherry I had on hand. You will need two patterns of this.....the extra to do the dolphins as a glue on overlay. I used a #5R blade on the lettering and the dolphins both. I used a #7R to cut the outer round with the BB stacked below it. Any questions ask away.
Lin

worktolive.gif

Back