Schwarz/Nicholson/Byron Workbench Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulm":1ls0djpf said:
Looking good Colin.

Were the front and back aprons glued and screwed or just glued ? Think you mention just gluing but that wouldn't give the strength needed by itself would it ?

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

They will be screwed as well, I just haven't got round to it at the moment as I didn't have the right screws. I probably should have added them while they were gluing up, but I failed to plan for this. Don't think it'll be a big problem though.

Thanks for the kind words Mike, its actually considerably chunkier than the plans in the schwarz book. He only used 1.25" thick stock, this lot is exactly 2" so it has plenty of weight, and I daresay it will outlast me when its finished.

ByronBlack":yqbrwnyo said:
Todays update:

My front apron was about 10-15mm higher than the rear apron which would cause a real problem with the top, so I had to trim and joint this edge. As I don't have a straight edge long enough to use my circular saw because it requires a very low piece to avoid fouling the motor, I decided to put my new router into service again - using a fairly straight decking board as a guide, I spent a fair amount of time routing off the excess material and prepared the edge for jointing:
pic6.jpg

After the routing, I finished the edge joint with a No.7
pic3.jpg

Trimming the excess leg tops with my trusty rusty ryoba (most versatile saw in my kit)
pic5.jpg

I Wanted to get an idea of how it looks with the top
pic4.jpg

Relieved the square edge with a bevel cut - sawed in situ with the ryoba again
pic2.jpg

End of todays work:
pic1.jpg

If you're looking for a straigh edge it's worth looking at ali kick plates from Howdens, I was lucky and salvaged one with a bit of a bent end (since removed) from their skip and it works beautifully.
In fact it's so good that if I needed to I'd buy a kick plate just as a straight edge.
HTH,
T

Byron,

This is looking outstanding. I agree with Mike. This one is going to be the last bench you'll ever need.

I'm hoping my 'French' version will turn out as nice as this. I never was so impatient to get started and I keep looking at my stack of SYP saying, 'Dry, dry, dry!' :D

Regards
John :)

I love this style workbench, my only problem is that it takes up a valuable 8' of workshop and I need to come up with a solution that includes lots of storage as well if I ever get around to building my own ;)

frugal":2e53ap22 said:
I love this style workbench, my only problem is that it takes up a valuable 8' of workshop and I need to come up with a solution that includes lots of storage as well if I ever get around to building my own ;)

You don't have to make it 8', you can make it any length you like.. you can also use the underneath section for drawers/cupboards as long as you leave enough clearance for dogs and holdfasts.

Sorry, forgot to say how much I like the look of your build, it's gonna be great.
T

TEO":18hipe4b said:
Sorry, forgot to say how much I like the look of your build, it's gonna be great.
T

Thanks Teo - I'll keep an eye out for the kick plates, a long straight edge would be very useful.

Byron, just wanted to say how impressed I am with your build, this going to be a very serious item - so substantial that it is approaching the 'air raid shelter' category.
I may be inspired to attempt something like this myself. Can you post the reference to the original design please.
Cheers
David

I'm really enjoying this thread. I just got my workshop back into usable form last week after a couple of years as a dumping ground but one thing I don't have is a bench and I don't really think I have room for one, so there is plenty of vicarious enjoyment being had watching your build, BB.

Vormulac":151u3hpi said:
I'm really enjoying this thread. I just got my workshop back into usable form last week after a couple of years as a dumping ground but one thing I don't have is a bench and I don't really think I have room for one, so there is plenty of vicarious enjoyment being had watching your build, BB.

Vormulac;

The bench I shall be making is based on the design in the book Olly mentioned. I have gone a few steps further in the design, by deciding to tenon the legs directly through the solid top; plus a dovetailed halving joint on the front face so everything is flush.

the original design is between 6 and 8 feet long, but there is nothing to stop anyone from making a bench long enough to fit into whatever space is available. Mine will be at the most 6 feet long, but probably nearer 5 feet, just to give room for a tail-vice.

So if you can fit one in, make it to suit!

regards
John :)

What's the latest on this bench build?

Is it finished?

Can we have some pictures?

Chippy,

If you're referring to my bench, then it's under construction, and pics are being taken as I progress. I am aiming to post the lot in one go, with the hope I can produce some text as well, reference the order of work.

That being the way I work normally for magazine articles. When I used to do them that is!

The bench is being made in Southern Yellow Pine throughout, unless I run out of stock, or make a 'foxes paw'. In which case I will be adding some Douglas Fir to the construction.

Regards
John

:D

Back