Sawdust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pip

Established Member
Reaction score
Hya!, does anyone know if MDF sawdust can be used in with garden compost?
T.I.A.
pete

I think it's generally appreciated that MDF is a useful product in making stuff, not so much, in disposing of stuff.
It's also famously noted for being carcinogenic when a airborne particulate afaik. Wear A Mask.
I wouldn't put it anywhere near compost, never mind anything put on edibles. Sod That.
I'm sure there are more knowledgeable experts around to dictate details.

Bm101":30ayu8nx said:
........It's also famously noted for being carcinogenic when a airborne particulate afaik...........

I think you're going to need to back this up. The claims of this sort of thing about MDF have been notably exaggerated over the years. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I have seen no science to say you are right. However, you are dead right about the mask, because all fine dust is potentially damaging.

I can provide no evidence Mike as you know you devil. :| . Just going on what I have been told. If I'm wrong I'm glad to be proved so. I'm no expert ( (hammer) ) so I listen to the advice I think has come from above and hope it's right.
Still wouldn't mulch it up and put it on my rhubarb mate if I'm honest.

Sawdust in general not much good for compost as too much cellulose - takes up nitrogen etc. needs mixing with nitrogenous stuff - best thing for it is a compost toilet.
OTOH it burns nicely in the right sort of stove.

MikeG.":npvcb4c5 said:
Bm101":npvcb4c5 said:
........It's also famously noted for being carcinogenic when a airborne particulate afaik...........

I think you're going to need to back this up. The claims of this sort of thing about MDF have been notably exaggerated over the years. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I have seen no science to say you are right. However, you are dead right about the mask, because all fine dust is potentially damaging.

That's exactly what they used to say about asbestos. Then a few years down the line everyone started dying from what's now known as asbestosis. People die from asbestos exposure many years after the fact. Just because there isn't much evidence about formaldehyde causing cancer problems right this minute doesn't mean there won't be in 20 years or so.

People don't really start paying attention until people start keeling over.

It's actually called mesothelioma. I should know. It's killing my mother.

The thing is, they've been looking for an MDF/ cancer link since the 1980s, and we're pretty damn sophisticated at such things these days. There certainly are health issues associated with formaldehyde, but cancer isn't known to be one of them. Don't get me wrong. I hate the stuff. I almost never use it, and if ever I do I'm scrupulous with the dust. If anyone has ever seen photos of my workshop they'll know I'm not generally scrupulous with dust, so I am employing the precautionary principle to MDF dust. However, this isn't on the grounds of worrying about cancer.

O'K Folks, so a big no-no seems to be the answer, thanks for your replies, much appreciated.
pete

Pip":3hdp0bx5 said:
O'K Folks, so a big no-no seems to be the answer, thanks for your replies, much appreciated.
pete
Not quite a total no-no - it's good on garden paths or as a mulch and will very slowly rot down, or mix it with grass cuttings to compost it faster.

Jacob":56bhc66h said:
Pip":56bhc66h said:
pete
Not quite a total no-no - it's good on garden paths or as a mulch and will very slowly rot down, or mix it with grass cuttings to compost it faster.
If it takes grass cuttings to speed up composting times (what!?!) for mdf dust I think I'll leave it out of the compost bin along with grass cuttings, whole oak trees, airliners and municipal buildings. :|

Trevanion":27gbkgos said:
MikeG.":27gbkgos said:
Bm101":27gbkgos said:

That's exactly what they used to say about asbestos. Then a few years down the line everyone started dying from what's now known as asbestosis. People die from asbestos exposure many years after the fact. Just because there isn't much evidence about formaldehyde causing cancer problems right this minute doesn't mean there won't be in 20 years or so.

People don't really start paying attention until people start keeling over.

Everyone didn't start dying of asbestos though did they? It is of course possible to get asbestosis but there are a lot of people who have worked with asbestos who didn't get asbestosis.

Bm101":3shje677 said:
Jacob":3shje677 said:
Pip":3shje677 said:
pete
If it takes grass cuttings to speed up composting times (what!?!) for mdf dust I think I'll leave it out of the compost bin along with grass cuttings, whole oak trees, airliners and municipal buildings. :|
It sez ere: "Grass clippings are a great addition to a compost pile, they are rich in nitrogen that the microbial population uses as they decompose the organic matter. Dry leaves, wood chips or straw need to be mixed in a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio with clippings to produce good compost and reduce odors."
Grass clippings and kitchen waste mixed with sawdust is well known as a good idea. ditto composting toilets for the same reason.
I don't really know about the toxicity of MDF but I guess it's probably not a problem

Grass cuttings need to be mixed with woody stuff to compost well. Woody stuff needs to be mixed with something like grass cuttings to compost well (see nitrogen balance, above). Therefore, when I cut the grass, it's time to empty the dust extractor and paper shredder to mix with the cuttings.

I've just emptied and used last year's compost made this way so can verify that it works. I can't comment on the specific MDF issue, though.

Back