Saw till

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just won a set of japanese saws which will be added to my collection of other saws English style. With the English saws there is not a problem in making a till for them. I was just wondering how is the best way to store the japanes saws as some have teeth on both edges.
I want to have both styles in the same cabinet any ideas please
This is the set i just won.

DSCF9729 (800x599).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF9729 (800x599).jpg
    DSCF9729 (800x599).jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 325
Hi Derek

hope you are well
I have a few of these and find they are light enough just to hang from small earth magnets

Steve

SteveF":21yth6ay said:
Hi Derek

hope you are well
I have a few of these and find they are light enough just to hang from small earth magnets

Steve

Keeping well Steve, I was thinking of making a cupboard to keep all of my saws in rather than flat against a wall

Geoff_S":21yth6ay said:
They're nice. How did you win them?

It was on another forum and they ran a competition where all you had to do was post "I'm in" and they randomly selected someone to win and you needed to confirm when your name was selected within 4 days well the first guy did not respond, so a second draw was made which was me. I do post on that forum quite a bit and they are now running a second competition but they have changed the rules in as much it will only be free delivery within Australia.

This is a good solution I think.

You do see them just hung up quite a bit, many have hanging holes on the blade and for any that don't a small screw eye can be added to the bottom of the handle. But I presume you wouldn't want to go this way for cupboard storage, unless you also use a magnet to add stability?

How about something like this? Unlike some tills, slots aren't specific to each saw. You can take any saw and put it any slot

IMG_2873.JPG

(Sorry it's an old, naff photo)

Attachments

• IMG_2873.JPG
    IMG_2873.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 201
DTR":2e5ronko said:
How about something like this? Unlike some tills, slots aren't specific to each saw. You can take any saw and put it any slot

(Sorry it's an old, naff photo)

That's the type of thing I am looking at. from what I have seen they would have to be stored handle up for the Japanese saw and handle down for our style saw

I saw a YouTube saw till which used rubber balls in chambers to put pressure on the blade so that you could place both Japanese and Western saws handle downwards. I will look in my history and see if I can find it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LoftyDave":cwxikof8 said:
I couldn’t find the original video but this one shows the same concept but using dowels.

https://youtu.be/f6txqZBMC0U
That's a much better version than the one I posted. If I make one like this I think I'll be going at it this way.

I can't believe those bits of dowel add enough grip! Chalk another one up to the power of friction.

LoftyDave":3hcrqd30 said:
I saw a YouTube saw till which used rubber balls in chambers to put pressure on the blade so that you could place both Japanese and Western saws handle downwards. I will look in my history and see if I can find it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's how my one works, posted above. It doesn't matter if the saw is handle-up or handle down, it works both ways

Back