rule breaking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there was ever a thread that needing locking, this is it.
Nothing overly offensive, politically incorrect etc.......but how a not unreasonable question could be honestly / honourably answered and then drawn out over 6 pages is beyond me.
I keep coming back just to see who could possibly add anything else!
Perhaps we could have a “handbags at dawn” forum, this being the ideal thread to start it?

Glynne":36ec2csi said:
If there was ever a thread that needing locking, this is it..........

I respectfully disagree. The guy was picked apart and exposed without it ever getting rude, unpleasant or distasteful. He realised he was beaten and he headed for the hills.......most threads on planing or sharpening get much more ugly.

Also it allowed the worlds first and only decent Lute Pun to be formulated.
Yes Charlie and Novocaine. That was aimed at you. :D
I found your responses a little wanting if I'm really honest although it pains me to say it. I try my best to be polite. :wink:
If anything they were a little.... Lute Warm.

:-"

Bm101":2h4zc7q7 said:
Also it allowed the worlds first and only decent Lute Pun to be formulated.
Yes Charlie and Novocaine. That was aimed at you. :D
I found your responses a little wanting if I'm really honest although it pains me to say it. I try my best to be polite. :wink:
If anything they were a little.... Lute Warm.

:-"

I fear you havr absoLUTEly missed the point. Perhaps you should lute out a few more puns and see if the fit the bill.

Sorry Bob, I acquired 'bad' habits in commenting over the years as my two best mates were English teachers who constantly aspired to express themselves as succinctly and appropriately as possible. 'Short, sharp, nailed it' was their metier. From joshing with them, I got used to such words as "pabulum" (Times crossword, 1982) and "antidisestablishmentarianism"...all good clean fun. It made writing school reports a wickedly enjoyable experience, as I had to resist the temptation to throw in a few polysylables here and there - especially when I knew the parents, and could judge which newspaper they read! :wink:

Sam, apprentice polymath :-"

Lons":34vxor69 said:
Don't appologise Sammy, Nothing wrong with your post, quite the opposite tbh.
I shall second that, as reading the works of a skilled wordsmith such as yourself is always a sheer delight and actually enhances one's own vocabulary... which is greatly needed by a great many people in this modern age of disposable culture, short text messages, Twatter and Farcebook.

We once had to learn the correct spelling of Antidisestablishmentarianism. I took great pride in being the only sad geek who knew what it meant, though. Our English teacher also gave me a love of etymology!

Tasky":pnw9xqff said:
Lons":pnw9xqff said:
Don't appologise Sammy, Nothing wrong with your post, quite the opposite tbh.
I shall second that, as reading the works of a skilled wordsmith such as yourself is always a sheer delight and actually enhances one's own vocabulary... which is greatly needed by a great many people in this modern age of disposable culture, short text messages, Twatter and Farcebook.

We once had to learn the correct spelling of Antidisestablishmentarianism. I took great pride in being the only sad geek who knew what it meant, though. Our English teacher also gave me a love of etymology!

What does etymology mean?

etymology
: the root meaning or history of words. Eg. "xylem", which we all know as hardwood/softwood and we work it all day long, is derived from the Greek word ξύλον (xylon), meaning "wood"... :)

Sam

Thank you Tasky! \:D/ I will endeavour that my future issuances meet every criterion you currently applaud, with apt, Shavian, phraseology and even neologisms concomitant with same...

Sam - not showing off at all, no, honestly. :-"

Geoff_S":30lycvvr said:
What does etymology mean?
Basically where words (and phrases) come from, what they mean and the history of how they came to mean that.
It's a bit like how similar tools have very different names (like all the different planes or chisels), which is why I also find that rather interesting.

Back