Router table build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
I am building my first ever router table at the moment. It will become a compliment to my two full size spindle moulders.

True to my habits I build heavily with the intention to build only once.
The cast iron table and the "lift" are recykled from the sorry remnants of a no longer rebuildable wood framed spindle moulder. Probably 1910-s or 1920-ies.
The frame is welded up from 8 mm hot rolled plate and 80x80x9 T-bar and a few pierces of hot rolled U-channel.
The wheels to make it semi-mobile are cast iron and come off an old sack trolley once used in a warehouse.
It will take either an AUK-tools or a Suchner router motor depending on how slim my wallet is when that day comes. Right now my wallet is severely anorectic so I must postpone the motor purchase until later but I want to make use of the time I have on hand and build the table now.

All big decisions are made clear but there are a few minor questions that come up as I build.

First question:
Will it be better to have a chose sucking dust above the motor or to put a door on the motor enclosure and a dust hood below the motor with a hose from there?

Your english has slipped a little there, it snot easy to understand, but i know what you are asking.

The router body has a fan on the base, sucking cooling air across the motor and top and bottom bearings.
you need to make sure that air is free of sawdust. A duct taped to the bottom of the router and outlet into free air is a very good thing.

Separately, you want to remove the dust from the cutting bit.

Dust/chip extraction on a router table need to be controlled from above and below, the amount of chips and dust that are thrown by the bit backwards also needs to be controlled, have a look at this to get the idea: https://www.axminster.co.uk/ujk-technol ... box-502538 I have this set up and it controls the dust and chips excellently, recommended.

Mike

Back