Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Andrew1
Hi i am in the market for a router table and router. I have an old table which is a pain to change router bits, has no lift and an unbranded router. Table would go onto bench, so dont need full height table.
So typically looking for a table with lift and suggestions for a router. I dont do that much routing, so typically £400 is all i want to spend. Any suggestions
By Brandlin
I would recommend one of the triton routers as they come with a built in lift. A choice of three models based on motor size.
For a table, if you aren't doing much I would sling it under a piece of MDF or ply and build your own table/fence. You'd have a chunk of change from your £400.
By transatlantic
I have the Triton and the Kreg plate, works well for me.

If you are going to build your own table, make sure it's strong enough. I used 18mm MDF, and it has sagged a fair bit. I will be redoing it at some point, probably with Plywood and some supports underneath.
By Lonsdale73
I too have a Triton/Kreg combo. I used an offcut of kitchen worktop and it's still holding up after a number of years of my cack-handed abuse.
By Brandlin
Lonsdale73 wrote:I too have a Triton/Kreg combo. I used an offcut of kitchen worktop and it's still holding up after a number of years of my cack-handed abuse.

Exactly the same set up i have.

Many will rightly tell you that kitchen worktop is not flat - and they are right, but its plenty flat enough for what i do with it - plus you can make the top as long as you like and replacing it is not a huge undertaking.
By Brandlin
the triton TRA 001 and MOF 001 (the mof is the smaller brother) both have the same base fittings. I have the MOF.

There are multiple kreg plates. Some come pre-drilled for various makes. Others are undrilled.

That link lonsdale gave you claims to be the right predrilled plate, but the picture is undrilled. The prices is pretty good though. For reference the plate drilled for the triton is reference number Kreg PRS4034

It often seems in low supply and becasue of this you see some site ramping the price up ridiculously... but shop around, i think i paid £29 for mine.
By Lonsdale73
I meant to pass on a tip I was given and that is don't try to enclose the router in a fancy downdraft type box. Having watched far too many youtube videos, I burnt out three routers in the space of two years trying to incorporate some form of downdraft box. Might be okay for the seemingly ubiquitous Porter Cable units favoured my many American 'tubers but the Triton's don't like them! I did drill a hole just beyond the insert plate and connected a dust extractor to it so now so now any dust thrown forward doesn't fly off the back of the bench and is instead drawn into my very own black hole.
By Brandlin
Lonsdale73 wrote:I meant to pass on a tip I was given and that is don't try to enclose the router in a fancy downdraft type box. Having watched far too many youtube videos, I burnt out three routers in the space of two years trying to incorporate some form of downdraft box. Might be okay for the seemingly ubiquitous Porter Cable units favoured my many American 'tubers but the Triton's don't like them! I did drill a hole just beyond the insert plate and connected a dust extractor to it so now so now any dust thrown forward doesn't fly off the back of the bench and is instead drawn into my very own black hole.

I've not had this problem. I do have the router in an enclosure (box) with dust extraction to the rear to create a down draft. However the box has a fairly significant opening at the front also, so there is a lot of airflow.
By Lonsdale73
Brandlin wrote:I've not had this problem. I do have the router in an enclosure (box) with dust extraction to the rear to create a down draft. However the box has a fairly significant opening at the front also, so there is a lot of airflow.

That's because you're smarter than me. I had mine encased in an Incra-esque closed box. A chap called Dennis advised me that was most likely why I was burning them out so quickly even with very little use.