Router guide for tracksaw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
Since I have been fiddling around the router I decided I would have a go at a jig to allow use of the router on the tracksaw track. I know you can buy these but they seemed expensive for what they are and I wanted one with more adjustability than I had seen.

I already had all the parts and it took me less than an hour to put together. I now just need to make some stops to slide in the t-slots on the track to complete the build.

The guide block is a piece of Oak. I cut the slot on the table saw and purposely made it just a touch over size (less than 0.5mm). I then cut another kerf to the side of the slot and made what is essentially a gib strip. Two screws allow me to adjust the width of slot so I can get either a nice snug fit for doing something like shelf pin holes, or an easy sliding fit for doing long slots or edge trimming. It also allows me to take up any wear in the slot or seasonal movement.

The guide has two 8mm rods that fit into the plunge router base, they are simply a press fit, no glue in case I want to change them for shorter or longer rods in the future. The plunge base will have a shim piece added to keep it level. I can adjust the base in an out from the track edge either for doing parallel cuts or to make use of the splinter strip.

As I say it took me less than an hour of work and would have been less if I wasn't making it up as I went along. The guide block was made from a larger piece which was then cut down so I can either make another guide block if I break this one or use it for another track based project.

Attachments

• IMG_20181126_090232.jpg
    IMG_20181126_090232.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_20181126_090208.jpg
    IMG_20181126_090208.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 737
Marineboy":1xwzpbyd said:
Very nice...and cheaper than Festool

Certainly cheaper, I didn't have to buy any parts and it didn't take long to make.
Finished the shim piece today, it just screws onto the router base and keeps it all level and stable. Adding this is really the only time consuming part of the build as fitting the guide to the plunge base takes only seconds. If you are just using a small cutter close up to the splinter strip then you could do without the shim strip as it's still pretty stable.

Next job is some stops which I wanted to make to use with the saw anyway. Undecided yet if I will drill holes to make the track into a shelf pin jig or come up with another method.

Back